This from someone in the auto industry

  • dubluth
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2008
      About halfway through the program you can hear Bill Reinert (National
      Manager, Toyota's Advanced Technology Group) say

      "Maybe that there's a case that you don't want to drive cars in the
      built environment"

      http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp
      Click on "Cars Are King, from Detroit to Beijing"
    • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
        dubluth wrote:

        > About halfway through the program you can hear Bill Reinert (National
        > Manager, Toyota's Advanced Technology Group) say
        >
        > "Maybe that there's a case that you don't want to drive cars in the
        > built environment"

        LISTEN carefully to Reinert... his job on this programme is for American
        ears and he sounds very thoughtful and calm -- he doesn't directly
        defend the car industry. He wants to sound like a friend to greens. It
        reminds me that Toyota HQ in Japan told their employees to not drive to
        work, knowing that certain mouths would repeat this all over, and the
        result could be a softening of their image.

        This also reminds me of something Lee Schipper of the Shell and
        Caterpillar-funded EMBARQ told me, which was that at the recent Michelin
        Challenge Bibendum in Shanghai, Niel Golightly, VP of Shell for
        Sustainability, stood up before the group, and said "buy less of our
        product".

        (insert reference from "1984") It is bunch of spin.... VERY carefully
        packaged words. In regards to Toyota providing "mobility services",
        I'll believe it when I see it.

        - T

        p.s. Did you notice that KCRW is giving away a Smart car? Everyone is
        being very clever...

        <http://www.flickr.com/photos/edelman/2163265797/in/set-72157602171242536/>

        > <http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp>

        > Yahoo! Groups
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbHNtYjBsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2NzA5MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA4NjA1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMjAwNjMxNjY2>
        >
        > Change settings via the Web
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carfree_cities/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdDRlajRtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2NzA5MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA4NjA1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyMDA2MzE2NjY->
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest
        > <mailto:carfree_cities-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
        > | Switch format to Traditional
        > <mailto:carfree_cities-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>
        >
        > Visit Your Group
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carfree_cities;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMGpzZHVhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2NzA5MjgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3MjA4NjA1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjAwNjMxNjY2>
        > | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> |

        Todd Edelman
        Director
        Green Idea Factory

        Korunni 72
        CZ-10100 Praha 10
        Czech Republic

        Skype: toddedelman
        ++420 605 915 970
        ++420 222 517 832

        edelman@...
        http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
        www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

        Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
        www.worldcarfree.net
      • dubluth
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Edelman, Green Idea
          Factory" <edelman@...> wrote:

          > LISTEN carefully to Reinert... his job on this
          > programme is for American ears and he sounds
          > very thoughtful and calm -- he doesn't directly
          > defend the car industry. He wants to sound like
          > a friend to greens.

          Your point?

          Now listen.
          fact:
          Politicians, automakers, and environmentalists themselves spend a
          great deal promoting the idea of "green cars" and "green motorfuels".
          In other words they can't face up the idea or don't want to admit
          that automobility itself presents great problems. They tout
          technology and/or "enlightened" pro-driving policies as the answer to
          the problem with cars.

          It seems that promoting gasohol usually sufficed to earn one
          environmental credentials with much of the US population.

          fact:
          American automakers, particularly, promote the idea that the US's
          automobile centered lifestyle results from pure choice on the part of
          consumers. American automakers lobby against every proposed
          environmental, health, and safety regulation.

          fact:
          I hear someone on the radio say,
          "Maybe that there's a case that you don't want to drive cars in the
          built environment"

          fact:
          A lead manager from Toyota said that.

          I don't measure the significance simply as "Mr. Reinert wants to sound
          green". He's saying something I don't hear from car companies or
          national politicians. I've only recently seen many environmentalists
          seriously focusing on a need to reduce the growth in driving. Few get
          as visionary as to talk of car-free cities. On the program, the car
          expert said the city without cars was a very long way off. We want it
          to happen sooner. How does sitting around questioning the motives
          behind a true statement achieve that?

          I'm grateful that Mr. Reinert mentioned the case against driving in
          cities. Nothing implies that the statement absolves Toyota of any
          corporate sins.

          Bill