Re: When people want to go outside a public transportation network.....

  • Erik Sandblom
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2008
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "bllabadie" <bllabadie@...>
      wrote:

      > I am an urban planner who has heard, numerous times, the
      importance of
      > having a car to "escape the city" or go to outside locations where
      the
      > only viable option is a personal vehicle.
      >
      > I currently live in Melbourne, Australia and don't have a car, so
      when
      > I go on trips I rent and it turns out to be very expensive, around
      > $300-$400 for a good 4 day trip. Are there any examples of car
      > sharing or cheap car rental programs in world cities? Or if
      anyone
      > has thoughts on this topic please feel free...

      What is your total cost? Ie, on the one hand, cost for public
      transport plus five weekend getaways by rental car. On the other
      hand, cost of owning a car and using it for all your daily transport
      needs. I'm quite sure that it will turn out cheaper, on an annual
      basis, to use public transport and rent cars as needed.

      Public transport will be even cheaper compared to driving if you live
      and work in places where you don't need to pay for parking unless you
      have a car that needs to be parked. Sometimes parking is included in
      the rent, which means you can't unlock that investment.

      For even cheaper transport, consider biking to work. That can save
      you real money, even if it only means saving the monthly transit pass
      for a few months each year.

      Erik Sandblom
    • Joel Siegel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2008
        Not sure if this will help, but here is our local nonprofit carsharing outfit.

        http://www.citycarshare.org/sharelocalplus.do

        Long term/long distance reservations are US$40 per day and US$0.10 per mile (~$0.06 per km), but after 200 mi/~330km the per-distance charge jumps to US$0.40 per mile (US$0.25/km). Not knowing the US$/AU$ exchange rate I don't know if it compares favorably to the prices you've determined. These prices appear to include fuel costs (bear in mind we call it gas, not petrol, so if you're searching a page don't bother looking for 'petrol' ;) .

        For longer trips City Car Share recommends checking out a couple of local car rental agencies, which offer special City Car Share member discounts.

        http://www.citycarshare.org/FAQs.do

        Try exploring the site and see if it might help.

        There's also a for-profit car sharing company, zipcar.com, that you might check out. They recently merged with flexcar.com.

        Hope this provides some leads.

        Cheers,

        Joel S.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 11, 2008
          The problem of reaching non-transit-accessible destinations is very
          much on my mind these days. Our carfree family in Berkeley,
          California now has two children and a large dog. We like to go to the
          mountains for weekend outings, and none of the towns or trailheads
          are accessible by public transportation. Carsharing is priced by the
          hour for in-town trips that we always do by foot or bike, most of the
          vehicles are small, and they prefer that you not use the vehicles for
          multi-day outings. So the remaining option is to rent from a regular
          car rental outfit. We end up doing this about once a month to the
          tune of $130-$200 (including $133/day of insurance but excluding
          gas). It adds up, especially if you need a relatively large vehicle
          to hold all the people and gear.

          One of my goals this year is to try setting up a "car club" in my
          neighborhood, which is already well-connected by an e-mail
          listserver. The objective would be to bring down the cost of
          multi-day family outings. I'll let the list know how it goes.

          Gus Yates

          Gus Yates, President
          CarFree City, USA
          P.O. Box 2841
          Berkeley, CA 94702
          Tel/Fax: 510-849-4412
          gus@...
        • she4bikes
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12, 2008
            I guess the question remains "How can we
            work toward car independence, rather than
            reduced car useage tactics such as car-sharing?
            This is a tough one and I feel another yahoo
            list is needed to separate "reduced car
            useage", and leave this one for true car-free
            struggles and discussion.

            -Sheila Baker
            Recipient of a great car ride from the hospital
            after my wrist operation

          • doug@sfbackstory.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 13, 2008
              I'd certainly be pleased if we could focus more, here, on real carfree urban solutions.

              I truly believe that nothing less will result in a livable, sustainable (sorry) built environment. What's more, I really think we could make such places real, if we weren't spending so much time and energy trying to tweak the untweakable.

              -Doug

              Doug Salzmann
              P.O Box 378
              Tiburon, CA 94920

              Subj: [carfree_cities] Re:When people want to go outside a public transportation network.....
              Date: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:38 pm
              Size: 1K
              To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com