When people want to go outside a public transportation network.....

  • bllabadie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2008
      I am an urban planner who has heard, numerous times, the importance of
      having a car to "escape the city" or go to outside locations where the
      only viable option is a personal vehicle.

      I currently live in Melbourne, Australia and don't have a car, so when
      I go on trips I rent and it turns out to be very expensive, around
      $300-$400 for a good 4 day trip. Are there any examples of car
      sharing or cheap car rental programs in world cities? Or if anyone
      has thoughts on this topic please feel free...
    • Erik Sandblom
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2008
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "bllabadie" <bllabadie@...>
        wrote:

        > I am an urban planner who has heard, numerous times, the
        importance of
        > having a car to "escape the city" or go to outside locations where
        the
        > only viable option is a personal vehicle.
        >
        > I currently live in Melbourne, Australia and don't have a car, so
        when
        > I go on trips I rent and it turns out to be very expensive, around
        > $300-$400 for a good 4 day trip. Are there any examples of car
        > sharing or cheap car rental programs in world cities? Or if
        anyone
        > has thoughts on this topic please feel free...

        What is your total cost? Ie, on the one hand, cost for public
        transport plus five weekend getaways by rental car. On the other
        hand, cost of owning a car and using it for all your daily transport
        needs. I'm quite sure that it will turn out cheaper, on an annual
        basis, to use public transport and rent cars as needed.

        Public transport will be even cheaper compared to driving if you live
        and work in places where you don't need to pay for parking unless you
        have a car that needs to be parked. Sometimes parking is included in
        the rent, which means you can't unlock that investment.

        For even cheaper transport, consider biking to work. That can save
        you real money, even if it only means saving the monthly transit pass
        for a few months each year.

        Erik Sandblom
      • WildLeaf
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2008
          This is how they do it in Seattle.
          www.flexcar.com
          There is also ride shares on craigslist.

          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "bllabadie" <bllabadie@...> wrote:

          > I am an urban planner who has heard, numerous times, the importance of
          > having a car to "escape the city" or go to outside locations where the
          > only viable option is a personal vehicle.
          >
          > I currently live in Melbourne, Australia and don't have a car, so when
          > I go on trips I rent and it turns out to be very expensive, around
          > $300-$400 for a good 4 day trip. Are there any examples of car
          > sharing or cheap car rental programs in world cities? Or if anyone
          > has thoughts on this topic please feel free...

        • Joel Siegel
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2008
            Not sure if this will help, but here is our local nonprofit carsharing outfit.

            http://www.citycarshare.org/sharelocalplus.do

            Long term/long distance reservations are US$40 per day and US$0.10 per mile (~$0.06 per km), but after 200 mi/~330km the per-distance charge jumps to US$0.40 per mile (US$0.25/km). Not knowing the US$/AU$ exchange rate I don't know if it compares favorably to the prices you've determined. These prices appear to include fuel costs (bear in mind we call it gas, not petrol, so if you're searching a page don't bother looking for 'petrol' ;) .

            For longer trips City Car Share recommends checking out a couple of local car rental agencies, which offer special City Car Share member discounts.

            http://www.citycarshare.org/FAQs.do

            Try exploring the site and see if it might help.

            There's also a for-profit car sharing company, zipcar.com, that you might check out. They recently merged with flexcar.com.

            Hope this provides some leads.

            Cheers,

            Joel S.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 11, 2008
              The problem of reaching non-transit-accessible destinations is very
              much on my mind these days. Our carfree family in Berkeley,
              California now has two children and a large dog. We like to go to the
              mountains for weekend outings, and none of the towns or trailheads
              are accessible by public transportation. Carsharing is priced by the
              hour for in-town trips that we always do by foot or bike, most of the
              vehicles are small, and they prefer that you not use the vehicles for
              multi-day outings. So the remaining option is to rent from a regular
              car rental outfit. We end up doing this about once a month to the
              tune of $130-$200 (including $133/day of insurance but excluding
              gas). It adds up, especially if you need a relatively large vehicle
              to hold all the people and gear.

              One of my goals this year is to try setting up a "car club" in my
              neighborhood, which is already well-connected by an e-mail
              listserver. The objective would be to bring down the cost of
              multi-day family outings. I'll let the list know how it goes.

              Gus Yates

              Gus Yates, President
              CarFree City, USA
              P.O. Box 2841
              Berkeley, CA 94702
              Tel/Fax: 510-849-4412
              gus@...
            • she4bikes
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 12, 2008
                I guess the question remains "How can we
                work toward car independence, rather than
                reduced car useage tactics such as car-sharing?
                This is a tough one and I feel another yahoo
                list is needed to separate "reduced car
                useage", and leave this one for true car-free
                struggles and discussion.

                -Sheila Baker
                Recipient of a great car ride from the hospital
                after my wrist operation

              • doug@sfbackstory.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 13, 2008
                  I'd certainly be pleased if we could focus more, here, on real carfree urban solutions.

                  I truly believe that nothing less will result in a livable, sustainable (sorry) built environment. What's more, I really think we could make such places real, if we weren't spending so much time and energy trying to tweak the untweakable.

                  -Doug

                  Doug Salzmann
                  P.O Box 378
                  Tiburon, CA 94920

                  Subj: [carfree_cities] Re:When people want to go outside a public transportation network.....
                  Date: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:38 pm
                  Size: 1K
                  To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com