How to Build a Village -- Claude Lewenz

  • chbuckeye
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2007
      Has anyone read this book? Interesting blog article and interview at:
      http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/how-to-build-a-village-by-claude-lewenz

      Proponent of carfree "villages."
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2007
        I just got off the phone with Claude Lewenz, who is the
        author of the book in question. I suggest everyone on
        this list ought to have a look at the site that cbuckeye
        included in his message:

        <http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/how-to-build-a-village-by-claude-lewenz>http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/how-to-build-a-village-by-claude-lewenz

        and also at:

        http://www.villageforum.com/

        Although neither of us had ever heard of the other, our thinking has
        evolved along similar lines, and he's actually getting ready to put
        stuff on the ground.

        Very interesting!

        Joel

        ----- ### -----
      • lela@ecopolitics.ca
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2007
          This is a good book alright, but nothing new of course.
          I see it as a variation on the same theme that has been discussed for years;
          compact and sustainable communities to combat urban sprawl.

          The difficult issue is how to convert existing wasteful planning in cities
          to compact communities; unless of course the compact community plan is
          to be considered for new developments, in which case this is another
          form of sprawl.
          Most large cities are entrenched in unsustainable urban planning; only
          individual neighbourhoods can change that, by forming small enclaves
          within
          the city in which case it is still not a village because of the circumstances
          in relation to the rest of the city.

          Lela
        • chbuckeye
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2007
            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, lela@... wrote:

            > The difficult issue is how to convert existing wasteful planning in
            cities
            > to compact communities . . . . only
            > individual neighbourhoods can change that, by forming small enclaves
            > within
            > the city in which case it is still not a village because of the
            circumstances
            > in relation to the rest of the city.

            Ah, but converting existing wasteful planning to compact communities
            is the existing challenge, unless we abandon those cities for new
            (sprawl) carfree developments. And I look forward to reading this
            book for clues as to how best to achieve the goal of a carfree
            neighborhood within a city.

            I disagree that converting a city to individual neighborhoods cannot
            create a village, in the sense of a largely-independent community
            (emphasis on community). In my experience in the US, almost all
            existing villages (fewer than 5,000 residents) also are poorly planned
            and lack many necessities, so that the residents must rely on certain
            stores and amenities in neighboring villages and larger cities.

            It is encouraging that more of us are thinking about the problem and
            can more easily share ideas.