'Psychogeography' by Will Self - LA Times book review

  • Todd Binkley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2007
      "Cars and bullet trains may speed up our transit time, but they do
      nothing to enrich the quality or depth of our interactions. On the
      contrary, because we arrive so fast, we have no reason to make
      occasions of anything. By nudging others into this consciousness,
      Self acts as "an insurgent against the contemporary world."

      After an afternoon of overload at a local mall, he escapes to the
      suburbs with his kids, where he reflects on how interzones -- those
      places where "country and city do battle for the soul of a place" --
      excite him. This suburban expedition is Self's way of dragging his
      children into their own consciousness of place. He wants to yank them
      "out of all this intense urbanity" and expose them to the suffocating
      pressure of "the sheer orderliness of all the neat verges and linseed-
      oiled garage doors" -- just like the teenage Self once felt. Once
      again, the insurgency: Self watches as his son tenses on his way into
      the suburbs and relaxes on his way home to the city, his psyche
      penetrated.

      http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/books/la-bk-
      higgins4nov04,1,2984019.story

      Todd Binkley, DC