Re: Magic Merger? -- High Tech, Calmer Lifestyles

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2007
      Some good points are made here. Telecommuting and shifting work times
      can definitely save time, money, and reduce one's environmental footprint.

      However, I feel that many of these concepts distract from the problem
      that many urban transportation systems are close to non-functional:
      "It's peak travel time, so you're not getting anywhere."

      Instead of personal lifestyles affecting local transportation systems,
      it's the other way around. Local transportation systems affect our
      personal lifestyles. Take these examples from my alma mater and former
      workplace, Florida State University:

      - Student and employees arriving as early as 0630, even though they
      don't have anything to do until 0800. Only so they can find a parking
      space.

      - Students clamoring for evening classes, since student parking
      permits are honored in employee parking spaces after 1630.

      - Study groups meeting at obscure night or weekend hours just so
      everyone can get a parking space on campus.

      - Turning down evening educational, employment, or social
      opportunities since the bus route stops at 1900.

      - Students choosing online classes over face-to-face classes, only so
      they "don't have to find a parking space".

      - Not wanting to live in on-campus housing since "off-campus
      apartments have guaranteed parking and dorms just have scramble parking".

      When students clamor for a limited number of spots in on-campus
      residence halls and walk-to-campus apartments, they are doing it
      because the local transportation system is a disaster. Traffic around
      campus is gridlocked, parking is scarce on campus, and the buses are
      stuck in traffic too.

      Let's start molding transportation around our lifestyles, not the
      other way around...

      matt