Re: warming from methane vs. CO2

  • dubluth
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
      If you're comparing the impact of carbon going into the atmosphere as
      methane AS OPPOSED TO carbon going into the atmosphere as CO2,
      counting the warming effect of the CO2 breakdown product of CH4 makes
      no sense. If you're regarding the methane breakdown CO2 as aberant,
      the CO2 in cattle exhalations is also aberant and we should count that
      also. Why don't we count the CO2 in bull's breath although we count
      the methane coming from either end? Because it's two entirely
      different questions. Cattle produce methane, a powerful greenhouse
      gas, and humans husband lots and lots of cattle (some in cattle lots).
      Living things emit CO2 -- at least those in the food chain rooted in
      green plants. We don't generally count the CO2 emmissions of life as
      worrisome because for living things to be emitting, plants had to have
      first incorporated the CO2 into their bodies and plants continue to
      grow at roughly the rate they get eaten. That isn't to deny that
      humans are doing a number on the carbon stored in trees, to mention
      just one bad effect of deforestation. However we don't generally feed
      our hungry cattle tropical mahogany. If we did, we should ask, how
      quickly do our cattle convert that mass of wood into CO2 (and CH4)
      compared to other uses of the wood and how much carbon does that
      regrowth capture?

      I don't believe I said anything that a reasonable person should
      interpret as an endorsement for transportation biofuels. Don't lump
      me in with the booblers who think that because we can construe or
      misconstrue biofuels to be 'carbon neutral' (and not imported) we
      gotta love anything putting down the road burning canola oil.