Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Token efforts we know are useless...

  • doug@sfbackstory.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 23, 2007
      jabailo@... said:

      *************************
      Maybe if we had these
      enclosed circles of townish living, with walkable green space around
      our homes, we could still go between towns in hydrogen powered cars --
      or trains, or "autocopters".

      Who cares.

      As long as we have a real place to live and walk.

      Absolutely right on target.

      Energy resources, global warming, pollution, etc. are certainly related subjects, but the carfree urban concept is, in no way, dependent or subsidiary to these issues. We should be focused on the design and construction of an urban built environment that serves and enhances human life.

      I would want (need) carfree cities even if cars were powered by happy thoughts and emitted only fairy dust. There just isn't room for us and them.

      -Doug

      Doug Salzmann
      P.O. Box 378
      Tiburon, CA 94920