Researcher links gas price, obesity

  • Ryan Lanyon
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2007
      http://www.thestar.com/article/256511

      Researcher links gas price, obesity

      Commuters more likely to walk, bike or take transit when costs rise
      Sep 14, 2007 04:30 AM
      Michael Babad
      Business reporter

      High gasoline prices may prompt people to tighten their belts in more
      ways than one, a U.S. economics researcher has found.
      Studying average U.S. state fuel prices and U.S. government-reported
      health trends, Charles Courtemanche, a PhD student in health economics
      in his final year at Washington University in St. Louis, Mo., found high
      pump prices can bring lower obesity rates.
      "My finding is that when gas prices rise, there does seem to be some
      reduction in body weight and in obesity as a result," Courtemanche, 27,
      said from St. Louis. "Everyone's miserable about the high gas prices, so
      here's kind of a little silver lining in the story."
      Courtemanche wrote in his study "that a $1 (U.S.) increase in gas
      prices would, after three years, reduce U.S. obesity by approximately 15
      per cent, saving 16,000 lives and $17 billion per year."
      The study, A Silver Lining? The Connection Between Gasoline Prices and
      Obesity, also estimated that 13 per cent of the jump in obesity in the
      United States between 1979 and 2004 was attributable to a drop in real
      gas prices.
      High gas prices, he said, may prompt people to switch from driving
      vehicles to walking, biking or using public transit, which involves
      walking to and from a bus or rail stop.
      As well, higher gas prices may prompt people to eat at home more,
      rather than at restaurants, and home meals tend to be healthier, his
      study said.
      Courtemanche's findings were based on U.S. research. He has never been
      to Canada, but he would expect his results to be about the same.
      "I would think generally, the magnitudes might be slightly different,"
      he said. "For example, if it's colder and snowier up there, walking
      might be a little less feasible, that sort of thing."
      Courtemanche, whose commute is about 30 minutes, got the idea when he
      was pumping gas, thinking he may need to consider switching to the
      Metro, the ground and elevated rapid transit system in St. Louis.
      Courtemanche's research has also sparked some chatter in the United
      States.
      "I've already been getting hate mail from people thinking that I'm
      trying to call for further increases in gas prices or something like
      that, which is definitely not the case," he said.

    • Jennifer Ashley