Re: Cheaper to drive their cars to work than take public transport

  • John Bredin
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 11, 2007
      wrote:

      > Once again, truth is stranger than fiction. Kafka could never
      > have come up with this.
      >
      > >Florida State University employees have an interesting setup too.
      They
      > >can get $10/mo transit passes, but ONLY if they buy a $250/yr campus
      > >parking permit. So for an FSU employee who doesn't have a car and/or
      > >doesn't drive to work, they are better off buying a parking permit
      > >JUST to get the cheaper transit pass.

      Truth IS often stranger than fiction, but not in this particular case.

      FSU has TWO bus-pass programs:
      1) Free monthly passes to employees who DON'T get a parking permit,
      and who indeed are ineligible to obtain a parking permit as long as
      they receive the free bus pass; and
      2) the aforementioned $10 (actually, $10.50, but close enough) bus
      passes for employees who DO have a parking permit.
      http://www.vpfa.fsu.edu/policies/bmanual/parking.html
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 11, 2007
        At 2007-09-11 11:05, you wrote:

        >--- In <mailto:carfree_cities%40yahoogroups.com>carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...>
        >wrote:
        >>
        >> Once again, truth is stranger than fiction. Kafka could never
        >> have come up with this.
        >>
        >> >Florida State University employees have an interesting setup too.
        >They
        >> >can get $10/mo transit passes, but ONLY if they buy a $250/yr campus
        >> >parking permit. So for an FSU employee who doesn't have a car and/or
        >> >doesn't drive to work, they are better off buying a parking permit
        >> >JUST to get the cheaper transit pass.
        >>

        >Truth IS often stranger than fiction, but not in this particular case.
        >
        >FSU has TWO bus-pass programs:
        >1) Free monthly passes to employees who DON'T get a parking permit,
        >and who indeed are ineligible to obtain a parking permit as long as
        >they receive the free bus pass; and
        >2) the aforementioned $10 (actually, $10.50, but close enough) bus
        >passes for employees who DO have a parking permit.
        ><http://www.vpfa.fsu.edu/policies/bmanual/parking.html>http://www.vpfa.fsu.edu/policies/bmanual/parking.html

        ----- ### -----
      • Matt Hohmeister
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 11, 2007
          I think we can all think of examples of situations where bureaucracy,
          stubbornness, or existing policy forces or encourages inefficiency...

          - Malls with too many parking spaces because of local ordinances.
          Chances are the owner would be happy to develop the land to a higher
          FAR, but that's illegal.

          - Suburban homes much more affordable than urban homes. Since most
          cities won't allow any new non-sprawl development, the supply of urban
          homes is kept artificially low, sending prices through the roof. Of
          course, the city's blowing all their budget on six-laning I-10 and
          US-231 doesn't help either.

          That brings up an interesting point with carfree cities. Does anyone
          out there know of a carfree area in an at least midsized city (over
          100k) that has reasonable property values? One objection I've heard to
          carfree/urban living is that it would turn into NYC--not affordable
          unless you live in a very small space.

          As a reference point, Tallahassee's population is 159k (337k MSA), and
          we're paying $1050 monthly for 1800 square feet, a few blocks from
          downtown.

          Cheers,

          matt

          wrote:

          > Once again, truth is stranger than fiction. Kafka could never
          > have come up with this.
        • Jym Dyer
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 11, 2007
            > One objection I've heard to carfree/urban living is that it
            > would turn into NYC--not affordable unless you live in a very
            > small space.

            =v= Bear in mind that NYC is a singularity, and thus not exactly
            the best example to apply. So many variables involved there.

            =v= That said, Manhattan is only one of NYC's five boroughs.
            I think carfree living in still-affordable parts of Brooklyn
            and the Bronx are a better model than Manhattan.
            <_Jym_>

            --
            Save Zeeba! Jeffy is God!
          • Randall Ghent
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12, 2007
              In North Africa, where carfree areas (medinas) of substantial size exist in
              most cities, the carfree areas include a mix of income levels, from very
              poor to very rich. This is true even in cities with a population of over 1
              million. Of course the local and national economic situations have a lot to
              do with it, and the fact that carfree areas aren't seen as a luxury. In some
              cases they are even run down.

              But in a large North American city, there is no reason why all carfree areas
              would need to be in or near the city center, as Jym said. It is possible to
              strengthen and revitalize neighborhood centers by making them carfree. If
              this is done frequently enough and carfree areas become more commonplace,
              the cost of living in such places could drop. Or more proactively, city
              councils and planning departments could require that affordable housing be
              included in such projects. And of course if car owners were not allowed to
              live in the carfree areas, the prices could also drop for that reason.

              To answer your question more directly, I do know of a large optically
              carfree residential area in Berlin where rents are probably not very high.
              We visited it during the Towards Carfree Cities IV conference. I say
              "optically carfree" because it includes quite a bit of underground car
              parking. Markus Heller, who is on this list, would have more information.

              Randy

              Matt Hohmeister wrote:

              > That brings up an interesting point with carfree cities. Does anyone
              out there know of a carfree area in an at least midsized city (over
              100k) that has reasonable property values? One objection I've heard to
              carfree/urban living is that it would turn into NYC--not affordable
              unless you live in a very small space.

              > As a reference point, Tallahassee's population is 159k (337k MSA), and
              we're paying $1050 monthly for 1800 square feet, a few blocks from
              downtown.

              --
              Randall Ghent
              Conference Coordinator
              WORLD CARFREE NETWORK
              home address: 20 Gale Lane
              Acomb, York YO24 3BB, U.K.
              tel: +(44) 1904 796860
              skype: randallghent
              rghent@...

            • Debra Efroymson
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
                In Asia also, I have walked through some lovely
                neighborhoods of narrow lanes, particularly in Dhaka
                and Kathmandu, no cars, very colorful and vivid street
                life, vendors with bicycle carts, kids playing in the
                streets, very quiet (the occasional motorbike hardly
                compensates for constant honking!). They are indeed
                low-income neighborhoods, and I doubt the residents
                realize how lucky they are (poor ventilation,
                crowding, etc. etc.).

                In Dhaka we chose a lower income neighborhood to live
                in; directly across the main street the rents are
                higher, the streets wider, the cars far more abundant,
                and thus the noise that much worse. There are still
                cars where we live, and as a result the only people I
                know are not the residents of the buildings but the
                guards, vendors, students, and beggars.

                The problem, again, is that nobody in these
                neighborhoods seems to see carfree as a good
                thing...yet anyway...so it seems there are two angles
                to approach, highlighting the advantages of already
                carfree areas, and making them widespread enough that
                the rents can't always be atrociously high when people
                DO realize the benefits. ??

                Anima

                --- Randall Ghent <rghent@...> wrote:

                > In North Africa, where carfree areas (medinas) of
                > substantial size exist in
                > most cities, the carfree areas include a mix of
                > income levels, from very
                > poor to very rich.

              • Carlos F. Pardo
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 14, 2007
                  Regarding Debra's post on low-income carfree areas and her remark that
                  "nobody in these neighborhoods seems to see carfree as a good thing..",
                  I'm reproducing the following paragraph from a nice book I'm reading
                  (full reference at the end):

                  "So it is with this village. Its ecological and peaceful way of living
                  is unconsciously won and thus is vulnerable to the winds of change that
                  fan the latent desires of its people. Even now there is a familiar
                  though jarring note in this sylvian village scene. The sounds of static
                  and that impersonal professional voice of another civilization - the
                  radio announcer- cut through the harmony of sounds as a young man of the
                  village holding a portable radio to his ear comes around a bend. On his
                  arm there is a silver wristwatch, which sparkles in the sun. He looks at
                  me proudly as he passes. And a wave of understanding passes through me.
                  Just behind that radio and wristwatch comes an army of desires that for
                  centuries have gone untested and untasted. As material growth and
                  technological change activate these yearnings, they will transform the
                  hearts, minds, work, and daily life of this village within a generation
                  of two."

                  Elgin, Duane (1981/1993 ). Voluntary Simplicity. New York: Harper. pp 14-15.

                  Best regards,

                  --
                  Carlos.