Re: "Walking hard for many exercisers"

  • dawie_coetzee
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2007
      It just goes to underline that the problem is more systemic than
      cultural. It isn't a case of "people loving suburbia" or any such
      hogwash; suburbia is what is available, due to a complex of
      legislative structures and established commercial relationships. The
      things people seek in suburbia (security of tenure, physical
      possession, civic consummateness) could be provided, and more
      effectively, in better patterns of settlement, if only the systemics
      could be addressed.

      The same, more controversially, goes for cars. Car-dependence does
      not come of "love of cars" or any such spurious notion, but from a
      systemic situation of manufactured contingent needs, corporate-
      friendly legislation, and entrenched economic power. Some people
      like cars like other people like horses: but no worthy equestrian
      would willingly subject their horse to the daily commute we all know
      and loathe. Logically, one would expect enthusiast motorists to have
      a similar view. Personally, I think "classic car fans for
      walkability" would be a perfectly viable and thoroughly sane
      movement.

      Best regards

      Dawie Coetzee

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hohmeister" <matt@...>
      wrote:

      http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/07/walkable.neighborho
      ods.ap/index.html

      > No surprise here--and that article could apply nearly anywhere.
      Here