"Walking hard for many exercisers"

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2007
      http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/07/walkable.neighborhoods.ap/index.html

      No surprise here--and that article could apply nearly anywhere. Here
      in Tallahassee, a "downtown" condo can, in fact, cost two to three
      times that of an equivalent house--even a mere half mile away. And
      thanks to zoning ordinances, there are no grocery stores nearby.

      As soon-to-be homeowners, my wife and I are faced with a similar
      dilemma--any homes in any sort of walkable areas around here are well
      beyond our price range. It's quite likely that we'll end up living in
      a near-flung suburb (1-2 miles from downtown), so bike use and mass
      transit will still be options--just so we can afford something.

      Cheers,

      matt
    • dawie_coetzee
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2007
        It just goes to underline that the problem is more systemic than
        cultural. It isn't a case of "people loving suburbia" or any such
        hogwash; suburbia is what is available, due to a complex of
        legislative structures and established commercial relationships. The
        things people seek in suburbia (security of tenure, physical
        possession, civic consummateness) could be provided, and more
        effectively, in better patterns of settlement, if only the systemics
        could be addressed.

        The same, more controversially, goes for cars. Car-dependence does
        not come of "love of cars" or any such spurious notion, but from a
        systemic situation of manufactured contingent needs, corporate-
        friendly legislation, and entrenched economic power. Some people
        like cars like other people like horses: but no worthy equestrian
        would willingly subject their horse to the daily commute we all know
        and loathe. Logically, one would expect enthusiast motorists to have
        a similar view. Personally, I think "classic car fans for
        walkability" would be a perfectly viable and thoroughly sane
        movement.

        Best regards

        Dawie Coetzee

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hohmeister" <matt@...>