Cool on-line "access by proximity" tool

  • Gus Yates
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
      "Access by proximity" is the key to eliminating car dependence. I
      just discovered an on-line tool that uses Google Earth's database of
      business and civic locations to create a "walkability score" for any
      address in the U.S. based on its proximity to various types of
      stores, parks, schools, etc. The website doesn't document their
      "patent-pending algorithm" for ranking different locations* but the
      overall effect is visually appealing and is a nice graphical
      demonstration of what access by proximity means.

      Here's the link:

      http://www.walkscore.com/

      I was surprised my home in Berkeley received a score of only 74 out
      of 100, but then again, I do most errands by bike, not foot.

      * For example, a nearby baking supply shop that happens to offer cake
      decorating classes was listed in the "schools" category along with a
      public elementary school slightly farther away. I don't know which
      got the higher score...

      Gus Yates

      Gus Yates, PG, CHg
      1809 California Street
      Berkeley, CA 94703
      Tel/Fax: 510-849-4412
      gusyates@...
    • Mark Galassi
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
        Gus> http://www.walkscore.com/

        Try this one:

        948 Alamo Rd, Los Alamos, NM

        and the site reports 0.86 miles to a grocery store, but there is a
        deep canyon in between that cannot be "walked", and I'm sure it's a
        few miles to get to it by road.

        I wonder if they could use google's driving distances which use road
        length.
      • dubluth
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
          I got a 92. I noticed one error, but a very cool tool.