Melbourne's car-free day in doubt

  • cfsmtb
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5 12:51 AM
      Dear all,

      Our politicians here in Melbourne are having conniptions over the simple
      concept of a proposed "Car Free Day".

      Melbourne's car-free day in doubt
      http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/09/05/1188783286490.html

      Melbourne City Council's proposal for "car-free day" is all but
      scuppered less than a day after it was hatched, with Premier John Brumby
      and Roads Minister Tim Pallas both dismissing the idea this morning. Mr
      Brumby also used the idea to belittle the Greens in the lead up to
      by-elections in Albert Park and Williamstown. He said it was typical of
      the kind of ill-conceived schemes they support."I see the Green
      councillors in the City of Melbourne are proposing a car free day in
      Melbourne, that is not something we would support and it's an example of
      not thinking through the implications of policy," he said. Greens
      councillor Fraser Brindley outlined the plan at a Melbourne City Council
      (MCC) meeting last night. (more in article)

      ***

      Mr Brumby and Mr Pallas need to be made aware that their attitude is
      unnecessarily reactive and unfortunately is playing politics with a
      potentially fantastic community event which so many people would enjoy.

      Do any learnered individuals on this list have advice about how to
      influence & win over pollies?

      cheers,

      Chris ;)

      --

      ----------------------------------
      The modern cyclist is making an elegant and intelligent response to pollution and traffic congestion.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8 5:10 AM
        Regarding your question, "Do any learnered individuals
        on this list have advice about how to influence & win
        over pollies?"--

        Yes, humiliate them in the media. Point out that the
        day means giving people a chance to meet their
        neighbors, enjoy themselves outdoors without fear of
        being run over, etc. etc., and what in that is so
        objectionable to politicians? Or do they love cars
        more than voters?

        Of course, first you have to find a media channel
        willing to publish your views.

        Debra

        --- cfsmtb <telstar@...> wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > Our politicians here in Melbourne are having
        > conniptions over the simple
        > concept of a proposed "Car Free Day".

        Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222