Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Shanghai subway

  • Jennifer Ashley
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2007
      Yeah, the photo appeared to indicate no bikes in that construction zone, which is understandable. There are very few places in China bikes aren't allowed--and besides, it doesn't seem that too many traffic regulations are followed to a T anyway. But I don't know about the car enthusiasm being rethought. Every person I talk to still hopes to own a car someday, even though they acknowledge cars' ill effects to society (you know, it's bad, but I'm just one person--how much could it hurt?). I got a tattoo of a classic London double-decker bus on my shoulder last winter, and this has done more to spark conversation about public transportation and the social ill that is private automobiles than anything else I've ever done. Strange, but good. I recommend everybody try it! ;)

      Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...> wrote: On Aug 29, 2007, at 7:28 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

      > It;s hard to tell what this is. Richard Risemberg might
      > be able to eyeball the site and tell us. It looks to
      > me like the "no bikes" sign is posted on the pedestrian
      > detour but I'm not sure.

      Can't really tell from the photo.

      I do however know that Chinese cities often have a complex mix of car-
      only, bike-only, and shared car/bike lanes. This is not unique to
      China: in the following picture of Park Avenue in New York you will
      see signs forbidding both pedestrians and bicyclists from entering an
      ill-designed tunnel:

      http://tinyurl.com/3afysl

      The Chinese are now rethinking their official enthusiasm for cars and
      re-emphasizing bicycle-centered street design.

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Kokorev Dmitry
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
        Dear friends!

        It's Dmitry from Carfree Russia! Im' activist and journalist.
        Now I'm working for russian national youth newspaper "AKZIA".
        Next issue about TRANSPORT.

        It means - I need a lot of:
        - comments, interviews, opinions etc.
        from:
        - activists, politics, scientists and experts
        also:
        interesting facts, pictures, articles etc.
        I hope you can help me!

        I need contacts or names interesting
        experts, researchers, governmental people from all over the world
        about transport. We need interviews with them.

        Also I need short articles about transport in general (not only
        carfree texts). Because this newspaper is - "general
        interest newspaper". So, all that information has to be really clear and understandable
        for everyone.

        Thank you in advance!

        Dmitry

        PS
        Most of all I need experts!

        Контакты:
        email: dmitry.kokorev@...
        ICQ 228501340
        Skype: dmitry_kokorev
        Phone: +7 916 370 84 04, +7 926 757 69 26
        http://dmitry-kokorev.livejournal.com/
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
          Dmitry--

          Browse through the two publications I edit (listed below) and see
          whether anything interests you. Both I and Eric Miller (publisher of
          New Colonist) are available for interviews.

          http://www.newcolonist.com
          http://www.bicyclefixation.com

          Also, I published an article on the economics of subways )metros)
          recently in the Los Angeles, Business Journal:
          http://tinyurl.com/yt464e

          Cheers,

          Rick Risemberg