Shanghai subway

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25, 2007
      A quote:

      > In 1990, four years after Los Angeles broke ground on its Red Line
      > subway, Shanghai began to build a subway system too.

      > Los Angeles was one of the richest cities in the world, with an
      > extensive freeway network, top-notch engineers and serious
      > congestion problems. Shanghai was poor, a decaying post-colonial
      > metropolis shaking off decades of economic stagnation. Its streets
      > were congested too -- with bicycles.
      >
      > Most Los Angeles residents know the story of what happened to the
      > Red Line, which was designed to carry passengers from Downtown to
      > the sea but hasn't quite gotten there. Only recently have planning
      > discussions seriously revived to add a rail line extending farther
      > west.
      >
      > Shanghai? It is well on its way to building the largest urban rail
      > mass transit system in the world.

      And a link:

      http://tinyurl.com/24myru

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com
    • Jim Gagnepain
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2007
        Very nice article. What I found especially interesting was the
        following:

        "What is striking in Shanghai is how few people seem to mind this
        upheaval, in part because the city has dramatically improved the
        compensation it provides to dislocated people and businesses, and in
        part because residents seem to accept the idea that the subway
        represents the greater good for the city."

        I've been following the Light Rail developments in Denver, and they
        have public hearing after public hearing. I think it's good to
        communicate the plans, but I also think it's important to make the
        project move forward, through mandatory financial settlements.
        Interesting that the Interstate Highway System in the US used this
        concept in the late 50's/early 60's. Why is it so much harder with
        rail?

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg
        <rickrise@...> wrote:

        > A quote:
        >
        > > In 1990, four years after Los Angeles broke ground on its Red
        Line
        > > subway, Shanghai began to build a subway system too.
        >
        > > Los Angeles was one of the richest cities in the world, with an
        > > extensive freeway network, top-notch engineers and serious
        > > congestion problems. Shanghai was poor, a decaying post-colonial
        > > metropolis shaking off decades of economic stagnation. Its
        streets
        > > were congested too -- with bicycles.
        > >
        > > Most Los Angeles residents know the story of what happened to
        the
        > > Red Line, which was designed to carry passengers from Downtown
        > > the sea but hasn't quite gotten there. Only recently have
        planning
        > > discussions seriously revived to add a rail line extending
        farther
        > > west.
        > >
        > > Shanghai? It is well on its way to building the largest urban
        rail
        > > mass transit system in the world.
        >

        > And a link:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/24myru
        >
        > --
        > Richard Risemberg
        > http://www.bicyclefixation.com
        > http://www.newcolonist.com
        > http://www.rickrise.com

      • Carlos F. Pardo
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2007
          If you see the picture of the article, it has a "no bicycles allowed"
          sign on the street. See in
          http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-transit_jj063wnc,0,7621046.photo?coll=la-home-center

          That makes you think where policy is really going...is it all about
          building big subways, or improving mobility as a whole (e.g. integration
          of bicycles and transit, reducing car traffic, etc)??

          --
          Carlos F. Pardo
          Coordinador de Proyecto- Project Coordinator
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 27, 2007
            > If you see the picture of the article, it has a "no bicycles
            > allowed" sign on the street. ... That makes you think where
            > policy is really going ...

            =v= In recent years there has been a huge influx of cars into
            Chinese cities, along with hasty laws to limit bicycles. It's
            not gone very well, and now they're working out hasty laws to
            limit cars.

            =v= There seems to be an alarming "cars are taking over from
            bikes in China" article about once a month in the Western press.
            Keeping it in perspective, though, bikes still have most of the
            modal share in China.
            <_Jym_>
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 29, 2007
              It;s hard to tell what this is. Richard Risemberg might
              be able to eyeball the site and tell us. It looks to
              me like the "no bikes" sign is posted on the pedestrian
              detour but I'm not sure.

              Joel

              ----- ### -----
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 29, 2007
                On Aug 29, 2007, at 7:28 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

                > It;s hard to tell what this is. Richard Risemberg might
                > be able to eyeball the site and tell us. It looks to
                > me like the "no bikes" sign is posted on the pedestrian
                > detour but I'm not sure.

                Can't really tell from the photo.

                I do however know that Chinese cities often have a complex mix of car-
                only, bike-only, and shared car/bike lanes. This is not unique to
                China: in the following picture of Park Avenue in New York you will
                see signs forbidding both pedestrians and bicyclists from entering an
                ill-designed tunnel:

                http://tinyurl.com/3afysl

                The Chinese are now rethinking their official enthusiasm for cars and
                re-emphasizing bicycle-centered street design.

                Rick
                http://www.bicyclefixation.com
                http://www.newcolonist.com
                http://www.rickrise.com
              • Jennifer Ashley
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 31, 2007
                  Yeah, the photo appeared to indicate no bikes in that construction zone, which is understandable. There are very few places in China bikes aren't allowed--and besides, it doesn't seem that too many traffic regulations are followed to a T anyway. But I don't know about the car enthusiasm being rethought. Every person I talk to still hopes to own a car someday, even though they acknowledge cars' ill effects to society (you know, it's bad, but I'm just one person--how much could it hurt?). I got a tattoo of a classic London double-decker bus on my shoulder last winter, and this has done more to spark conversation about public transportation and the social ill that is private automobiles than anything else I've ever done. Strange, but good. I recommend everybody try it! ;)

                  Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...> wrote: On Aug 29, 2007, at 7:28 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

                  > It;s hard to tell what this is. Richard Risemberg might
                  > be able to eyeball the site and tell us. It looks to
                  > me like the "no bikes" sign is posted on the pedestrian
                  > detour but I'm not sure.

                  Can't really tell from the photo.

                  I do however know that Chinese cities often have a complex mix of car-
                  only, bike-only, and shared car/bike lanes. This is not unique to
                  China: in the following picture of Park Avenue in New York you will
                  see signs forbidding both pedestrians and bicyclists from entering an
                  ill-designed tunnel:

                  http://tinyurl.com/3afysl

                  The Chinese are now rethinking their official enthusiasm for cars and
                  re-emphasizing bicycle-centered street design.

                  Rick
                  http://www.bicyclefixation.com
                  http://www.newcolonist.com
                  http://www.rickrise.com

                • Kokorev Dmitry
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2007
                    Dear friends!

                    It's Dmitry from Carfree Russia! Im' activist and journalist.
                    Now I'm working for russian national youth newspaper "AKZIA".
                    Next issue about TRANSPORT.

                    It means - I need a lot of:
                    - comments, interviews, opinions etc.
                    from:
                    - activists, politics, scientists and experts
                    also:
                    interesting facts, pictures, articles etc.
                    I hope you can help me!

                    I need contacts or names interesting
                    experts, researchers, governmental people from all over the world
                    about transport. We need interviews with them.

                    Also I need short articles about transport in general (not only
                    carfree texts). Because this newspaper is - "general
                    interest newspaper". So, all that information has to be really clear and understandable
                    for everyone.

                    Thank you in advance!

                    Dmitry

                    PS
                    Most of all I need experts!

                    Контакты:
                    email: dmitry.kokorev@...
                    ICQ 228501340
                    Skype: dmitry_kokorev
                    Phone: +7 916 370 84 04, +7 926 757 69 26
                    http://dmitry-kokorev.livejournal.com/
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
                      Dmitry--

                      Browse through the two publications I edit (listed below) and see
                      whether anything interests you. Both I and Eric Miller (publisher of
                      New Colonist) are available for interviews.

                      http://www.newcolonist.com
                      http://www.bicyclefixation.com

                      Also, I published an article on the economics of subways )metros)
                      recently in the Los Angeles, Business Journal:
                      http://tinyurl.com/yt464e

                      Cheers,

                      Rick Risemberg