Re: [carfree_cities] A peril of buried metro lines

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25 7:03 AM
      On Aug 25, 2007, at 3:35 AM, Christopher Miller wrote:

      > On Friday afternoon, the 24th of this Month, the busiest part of the
      > Montreal Metro was shut down through the entire downtown core area
      > affecting six stations on the Montreal Metro's green line. However,
      > the two transfer stations at either end of this stretch allow trips
      > to be made still by taking the orange line, which runs parallel to
      > the green line downtown, with a potential five to ten minute longer
      > walk to destinations. To take up the slack, extra buses have been put
      > into service along the line, but the street running above the metro
      > has been closed.
      >
      > I think this has something to say about potential problems to think
      > of when putting in place deep dig metro systems...

      Considering how many metro lines exist in the world, and how few have
      reported problems of this sort...with some being well over 100 years
      old!

      This is more illustrative of the problems inherent in choosing
      contractors, I'd suspect! My father, a civil and structural
      engineer, seismic design expert, etc., syas that contractor problems
      are endemic in the North American building trade--and he should know,
      having served as expert witness in dozens of trials over failed
      structures of various sorts.

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com