Re: [carfree_cities] Misleading truths

  • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2007
      Hi,

      Here is a website which should get you started on examples of the same
      sort of thing which Joel saw in the New Yorker insert:

      <http://www.chevrolet.com/fuelcell/>

      My favourite line on that page is:

      "This advanced vehicle puts us one drive closer to a future of
      sustainable transportation" (What does that mean exactly?)

      Of course GM, the parent of Chevy, spends a lot of time and resources on
      Greenwashing with all of its daughter companies ... here is one example:

      <http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/partners/environment/conservancy/index.jsp>

      - T

      p.s. It is likely that I had family (and friends of family) that went
      through Theresienstadt (Terezin) in Nazi-occupied Bohemia, and Simon's
      analogy does not bother me. In a way it's appropriate also because World
      War II was perhaps more than anything about gaining control of the same
      resources we're having problems with now.

      Simon Baddeley wrote:

      > It¹s been called Œgreen washing¹. Perhaps we need a words with nastier
      > connotations. To be really tasteless how about accusing Chevrolet of
      > making
      > a ŒThierenstatement¹ on the subject of its green credentials ­ to resonate
      > with ŒThierenstadt¹, the model camp set up by the Nazis in Czechoslovakia
      > as a decoy from the true circumstances of the Final Solution (man made
      > climate change). Outside observers (readers of glossy magazines) were
      > allowed to visit the camp, which held concerts and gave other
      > privileges to
      > the prisoners (green washing) many of whom were prominent Jews
      > (celebrities
      > associated with the New Yorker) with international reputations. Prisoners
      > were encouraged to send postcards to the outside world as a way of
      > disseminating Nazi lies about the camp, and in this way tragically
      > played a
      > part in their own destruction.
      >
      > Given that others have suggested that climate change denial carries
      > some of
      > the same moral opprobrium as holocaust denial perhaps I¹m not being as
      > crass
      > as
      > I feel I am. http://www.climatedenial.org/ <http://www.climatedenial.org/>
      >
      > My strong apologies which I will make more personal for causing pain with
      > this frightful analogy.
      >
      > Best
      >
      > Simon
      >
      > From: "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@... <mailto:mailbox%40carfree.com>>
      > Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:24:18 -0500
      > To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:carfree_cities%40yahoogroups.com>>, WCN list
      > <carfree_network@...
      > <mailto:carfree_network%40lists.riseup.net>>
      > Subject: [carfree_cities] Misleading truths
      >
      > Hi All,
      >
      > This week's New Yorker magazine included a glued-in
      > 16-page green-washing advertisement from Chevrolet,
      > the largest-selling car brand in the USA. There are lots
      > of pretty pictures and not a whole bunch of text. The
      > first text page says, in full, "Five things Chevy is doing
      > right now to help us all do more and use less."
      >
      > Then there's a page on "Better Fuel Efficiency". Chevy is
      > bragging about it's high-efficiency models, some of which
      > get an amazing 30 MPG, which is slightly better than the
      > fleet average... of 25 years ago. For those of you who
      > think in liters per 100 km, 30 MPG is 7.8 l/100km, which
      > is nothing to brag about. (A VW Lupo diesel gets 3/100.)
      >
      > Then there's ethanol, followed by hybrids (somehow, Chevy
      > only manages to get 25% better economy using hybrids),
      > followed by the Chevy Volt, not yet in production, which
      > "will use zero gasoline and produce zero emissions".
      > Then we have fuel cells.
      >
      > The pamphlet closes with "Some things we can all do
      > right now to help the planet." Most of these have nothing
      > to do with driving, like not taking a receipt from the ATM,
> [...]

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      Korunní 72
      CZ-10100 Praha 10
      Czech Republic

      Skype: toddedelman
      ++420 605 915 970
      ++420 222 517 832

      edelman@...
      http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
      www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

      Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
      www.worldcarfree.net