Re: [carfree_cities] Bicycling, road hogs, & LA

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
      I find it very interesting to see how much respect for road users on
      bikes varies with the level of infrastructure for serious (i.e. non-
      recreational) cycling in a city. In both Winnipeg, Manitoba -- a car-
      centric city where biking infrastructure is nearly nonexistent --,
      and Washington DC, with only a few painted bike lanes in the inner
      city, I found myself, when I was on my bike, subjected to yelled
      insults from drivers and physical assaults with thrown bottles,
      squirt guns and so on.

      Not so in Montreal, where there is a fairly respectable cycling
      infrastructure and large numbers of cyclists in the summer (and a
      fair number in the depths of winter as well): motorists here are much
      better about sharing the streets and bike lanes are fairly well
      respected. Of course, this all pales in comparison with the Dutch
      cities I have lived in, where cycling is seen as a normal everyday
      way of commuting for all ages and is given the respect it deserves in
      urban transportation infrastructure. ,_._,___

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada

    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
        > And I'm not sure that runners have the same right to a lane
        > as bicyclists absolutely do.

        =v= As per the California Vehicle Code, they don't. That's
        why I don't think it's so great to lump bikers and runners in
        together. Too many motorists are already ignorant of bikers'
        rights to the road, and I fear this will confuse them.

        > However, the fact that they're addressing bicyclists' rights
        > in any kind of positive and semi-intelligent way is a big
        > step forward for the post-Tribune_purchase LA Times!

        =v= They did a pretty wacky story about Critical Mass last
        Sunday. It looks as if it was written 10 years ago, plus
        a handful of recent factoids thrown it. It painted a very
        strange picture of the San Francisco ride, and you'd barely
        know there were several of them going on in L.A.
        <_Jym_>