Re: [carfree_cities] Bicycling, road hogs, & LA

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
      On Aug 14, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Jym Dyer wrote:

      > | Bicyclists and runners just want to share the pavement
      > | with drivers. They're entitled, right?
      >
      > =v= This is weird. Pretty much a straightforward story about
      > bikers' rights to the road, with "and runners" tacked on
      > throughout. It's NOT good to simply lump runners in with us,
      > since that detracts from the whole point.

      And I'm not sure that runners have the same right to a lane as
      bicyclists absolutely do. However, the fact that they're addressing
      bicyclists' rights in any kind of positive and semi-intelligent way
      is a big step forward for the post-Tribune_purchase LA Times!

      Scott, the fellow they interviewed, is an acquaintance of mine.

      Anyway, the cagers are getting desperate here as they get more and
      more in each other's way, veering over the abyss of cognitive
      dissonance as they try to blame anyone else for their discomfort.

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com
    • Christopher Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
        I find it very interesting to see how much respect for road users on
        bikes varies with the level of infrastructure for serious (i.e. non-
        recreational) cycling in a city. In both Winnipeg, Manitoba -- a car-
        centric city where biking infrastructure is nearly nonexistent --,
        and Washington DC, with only a few painted bike lanes in the inner
        city, I found myself, when I was on my bike, subjected to yelled
        insults from drivers and physical assaults with thrown bottles,
        squirt guns and so on.

        Not so in Montreal, where there is a fairly respectable cycling
        infrastructure and large numbers of cyclists in the summer (and a
        fair number in the depths of winter as well): motorists here are much
        better about sharing the streets and bike lanes are fairly well
        respected. Of course, this all pales in comparison with the Dutch
        cities I have lived in, where cycling is seen as a normal everyday
        way of commuting for all ages and is given the respect it deserves in
        urban transportation infrastructure. ,_._,___

        Christopher Miller
        Montreal QC Canada

      • Jym Dyer
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
          > And I'm not sure that runners have the same right to a lane
          > as bicyclists absolutely do.

          =v= As per the California Vehicle Code, they don't. That's
          why I don't think it's so great to lump bikers and runners in
          together. Too many motorists are already ignorant of bikers'
          rights to the road, and I fear this will confuse them.

          > However, the fact that they're addressing bicyclists' rights
          > in any kind of positive and semi-intelligent way is a big
          > step forward for the post-Tribune_purchase LA Times!

          =v= They did a pretty wacky story about Critical Mass last
          Sunday. It looks as if it was written 10 years ago, plus
          a handful of recent factoids thrown it. It painted a very
          strange picture of the San Francisco ride, and you'd barely
          know there were several of them going on in L.A.
          <_Jym_>