Bicycling, road hogs, & LA

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
      This story was sent to you by: Rick at Bicycle Fixation

      --------------------
      On the mean streets of L.A.
      --------------------

      Bicyclists and runners just want to share the pavement with drivers.
      They're entitled, right?

      By Jeannine Stein
      Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

      August 13 2007

      Scott Sing has had a tire iron hurled at him, a water bottle thrown
      at his head and been bombarded with racial epithets. And all he was
      trying to do was ride his bike on Los Angeles city streets.

      The complete article can be viewed at:
      http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-
      traffic13aug13,0,1299381.story?coll=la-home-middleright
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
        | Bicyclists and runners just want to share the pavement
        | with drivers. They're entitled, right?

        =v= This is weird. Pretty much a straightforward story about
        bikers' rights to the road, with "and runners" tacked on
        throughout. It's NOT good to simply lump runners in with us,
        since that detracts from the whole point.
        <_Jym_>
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
          On Aug 14, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Jym Dyer wrote:

          > | Bicyclists and runners just want to share the pavement
          > | with drivers. They're entitled, right?
          >
          > =v= This is weird. Pretty much a straightforward story about
          > bikers' rights to the road, with "and runners" tacked on
          > throughout. It's NOT good to simply lump runners in with us,
          > since that detracts from the whole point.

          And I'm not sure that runners have the same right to a lane as
          bicyclists absolutely do. However, the fact that they're addressing
          bicyclists' rights in any kind of positive and semi-intelligent way
          is a big step forward for the post-Tribune_purchase LA Times!

          Scott, the fellow they interviewed, is an acquaintance of mine.

          Anyway, the cagers are getting desperate here as they get more and
          more in each other's way, veering over the abyss of cognitive
          dissonance as they try to blame anyone else for their discomfort.

          Rick
          http://www.bicyclefixation.com
          http://www.newcolonist.com
          http://www.rickrise.com
        • Christopher Miller
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
            I find it very interesting to see how much respect for road users on
            bikes varies with the level of infrastructure for serious (i.e. non-
            recreational) cycling in a city. In both Winnipeg, Manitoba -- a car-
            centric city where biking infrastructure is nearly nonexistent --,
            and Washington DC, with only a few painted bike lanes in the inner
            city, I found myself, when I was on my bike, subjected to yelled
            insults from drivers and physical assaults with thrown bottles,
            squirt guns and so on.

            Not so in Montreal, where there is a fairly respectable cycling
            infrastructure and large numbers of cyclists in the summer (and a
            fair number in the depths of winter as well): motorists here are much
            better about sharing the streets and bike lanes are fairly well
            respected. Of course, this all pales in comparison with the Dutch
            cities I have lived in, where cycling is seen as a normal everyday
            way of commuting for all ages and is given the respect it deserves in
            urban transportation infrastructure. ,_._,___

            Christopher Miller
            Montreal QC Canada

          • Jym Dyer
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
              > And I'm not sure that runners have the same right to a lane
              > as bicyclists absolutely do.

              =v= As per the California Vehicle Code, they don't. That's
              why I don't think it's so great to lump bikers and runners in
              together. Too many motorists are already ignorant of bikers'
              rights to the road, and I fear this will confuse them.

              > However, the fact that they're addressing bicyclists' rights
              > in any kind of positive and semi-intelligent way is a big
              > step forward for the post-Tribune_purchase LA Times!

              =v= They did a pretty wacky story about Critical Mass last
              Sunday. It looks as if it was written 10 years ago, plus
              a handful of recent factoids thrown it. It painted a very
              strange picture of the San Francisco ride, and you'd barely
              know there were several of them going on in L.A.
              <_Jym_>