Re: Walkscore website

  • Randall Ghent
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13 9:33 AM
      Yes, it is an interesting and very useful tool, although the creators
      themselves recognize that they're working with only one factor of
      walkability and livability. It's simply a measure of proximity, telling you
      what shops and services are near to a given address, including the distance,
      name, description, address/phone and location of each. I think it's
      ambitious enough as it is, without its misleading name and "Find a great
      neighborhood" slogan. Even as a proximity indicator it is very much a work
      in progress in terms of businesses and services listed. And in my
      neighborhood it doesn't include post offices, parks and schools. By giving a
      score to an address at this stage in the software's development, it implies
      a level of precision that simply isn't there. But it do very well with the
      neighborhood in the U.S. where I grew up.

      "*Distance: *We are currently using 'as the crow flies' distances rather
      than walking directions. This means if you live across the lake from a
      destination, we are assuming you will swim. We are investigating using
      Google Driving Directions to calculate our distances. Hopefully, Google will
      add Walking Directions in the future!"

      I also noticed that if you type in the name of a city, it calculates for the
      most central location in that city or the city hall, not the city as a
      whole. York, UK got a 95, although my neighborhood of York got a 58. Venice,
      Italy got a 75.

      Randy

      --
      Randall Ghent