Re: [carfree_cities] car boost obesity

  • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12 5:58 AM
      Well, many people on this list may know this, but for sure most news
      reports on how people are gaining weight focus on 1 - too much (of the
      wrong kind of ) food, 2 - Not going to the gym enough (adults) or not
      exercising enough at school (children), so it's great that a third cause
      is mentioned (and of course this is just a modern replacement for the
      second one)... what is worrying is that so many health experts have
      invested so much in the first two that - at least in this article - they
      seem to get defensive about it....

      ... what is also interesting for me is the additional eating brought on
      my long-distance and commuter driving (in other words reasons 1 and 2 or
      3, together)... after all, it seems like every petrol station has a
      market and restaurant attached to it.... and unlike a situation with a
      pedestrian and their street food, after a fill up, drivers and their
      passengers just sit down.

      - T

      Ian Fiddies wrote:

      > Hi All
      > Nothing we didn't allready know. My thought is that by focusing on the
      > vanity aspect a few drivers might be reached that would be oblivious
      > to other arguments.
      > http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2147132,00.html
      > <http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2147132,00.html>
      > Ian Fiddies

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      Korunní 72
      CZ-10100 Praha 10
      Czech Republic

      Skype: toddedelman
      ++420 605 915 970
      ++420 222 517 832

      edelman@...
      http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
      www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

      Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
      www.worldcarfree.net