Re: [carfree_cities] Walkscore website

  • Eric Fischer
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
      On 8/8/07, Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...> wrote:

      > I wonder if Venice's walkability score relative to New York may be
      > related somehow to how their calculations deal with simple grids as
      > opposed to more complex, organic street plans. I can't help wondering
      > if an old world, non-grid based street plan gets treated similarly to
      > a suburban street plan (see the Walkable Neighborhoods link below).

      They don't actually know anything about grids -- the distances are just the
      distance from one point on the map to another, not the distance that you
      actually have to walk. (I think they would like to fix that, but the Google
      Maps API doesn't currently provide enough information to do so.)

      It looks Venice does badly just because Google doesn't have any business
      listings for bookstores or libraries in the area.

      Eric

    • Randall Ghent
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2007
        Yes, it is an interesting and very useful tool, although the creators
        themselves recognize that they're working with only one factor of
        walkability and livability. It's simply a measure of proximity, telling you
        what shops and services are near to a given address, including the distance,
        name, description, address/phone and location of each. I think it's
        ambitious enough as it is, without its misleading name and "Find a great
        neighborhood" slogan. Even as a proximity indicator it is very much a work
        in progress in terms of businesses and services listed. And in my
        neighborhood it doesn't include post offices, parks and schools. By giving a
        score to an address at this stage in the software's development, it implies
        a level of precision that simply isn't there. But it do very well with the
        neighborhood in the U.S. where I grew up.

        "*Distance: *We are currently using 'as the crow flies' distances rather
        than walking directions. This means if you live across the lake from a
        destination, we are assuming you will swim. We are investigating using
        Google Driving Directions to calculate our distances. Hopefully, Google will
        add Walking Directions in the future!"

        I also noticed that if you type in the name of a city, it calculates for the
        most central location in that city or the city hall, not the city as a
        whole. York, UK got a 95, although my neighborhood of York got a 58. Venice,
        Italy got a 75.

        Randy

        --
        Randall Ghent