Walkscore website

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
      I just came across this on the CoolTowns blog today:

      http://www.walkscore.com/index.shtml

      Walkscore is a Google-based web app that calculates the walkability
      of a neighbourhood based on an address you type in (for the US,
      Canada and the UK, for now). I'm sure this can come in useful for
      various purposes...

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
        Interesting. Venice scores only 63. One Fifth Ave., NYC scores 100
        (no surprise there). There's nothing in the index about the QUALITY
        of the walk, only the distance (or so it appears).

        Joel

        At 2007-08-08 12:59, you wrote:

        >I just came across this on the CoolTowns blog today:
        >
        ><http://www.walkscore.com/index.shtml>http://www.walkscore.com/index.shtml
        >
        >Walkscore is a Google-based web app that calculates the walkability
        >of a neighbourhood based on an address you type in (for the US,
        >Canada and the UK, for now). I'm sure this can come in useful for
        >various purposes...
        >
        >Christopher Miller
        >Montreal QC Canada

        ----- ### -----
      • Christopher Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
          I wonder if Venice's walkability score relative to New York may be
          related somehow to how their calculations deal with simple grids as
          opposed to more complex, organic street plans. I can't help wondering
          if an old world, non-grid based street plan gets treated similarly to
          a suburban street plan (see the Walkable Neighborhoods link below).

          They do admit that there are still problems with the way walkability
          is calculated and what is taken into account. Clicking on the four
          links just below the log at the top of the page:

          Why Walking Matters | Walkable Neighborhoods | How It Works |
          How It Doesn't Work

          leads to pages that discuss these questions.

          They welcome input from other quarters and I'm sure they would not be
          adverse to getting input based on the assumptions in Carfree Cities
          and Carfree Design Manual and would probably enjoy discussing the
          merits of their model.

          Chris Miller

          On 8-Aug-07, at 3:30 PM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

          > Interesting. Venice scores only 63. One Fifth Ave., NYC scores 100
          > (no surprise there). There's nothing in the index about the QUALITY
          > of the walk, only the distance (or so it appears).
          >
          > Joel
          >
          > At 2007-08-08 12:59, you wrote:
          >
          > >I just came across this on the CoolTowns blog today:
          > >
          > ><http://www.walkscore.com/index.shtml>http://www.walkscore.com/
          > index.shtml
          > >
          > >Walkscore is a Google-based web app that calculates the walkability
          > >of a neighbourhood based on an address you type in (for the US,
          > >Canada and the UK, for now). I'm sure this can come in useful for
          > >various purposes...
          > >
          > >Christopher Miller
          > >Montreal QC Canada
          > >

          > ----- ### -----
          > J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
          > mailbox@... http://www.carfree.com

        • Eric Fischer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
            On 8/8/07, Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...> wrote:

            > I wonder if Venice's walkability score relative to New York may be
            > related somehow to how their calculations deal with simple grids as
            > opposed to more complex, organic street plans. I can't help wondering
            > if an old world, non-grid based street plan gets treated similarly to
            > a suburban street plan (see the Walkable Neighborhoods link below).

            They don't actually know anything about grids -- the distances are just the
            distance from one point on the map to another, not the distance that you
            actually have to walk. (I think they would like to fix that, but the Google
            Maps API doesn't currently provide enough information to do so.)

            It looks Venice does badly just because Google doesn't have any business
            listings for bookstores or libraries in the area.

            Eric

          • Randall Ghent
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2007
              Yes, it is an interesting and very useful tool, although the creators
              themselves recognize that they're working with only one factor of
              walkability and livability. It's simply a measure of proximity, telling you
              what shops and services are near to a given address, including the distance,
              name, description, address/phone and location of each. I think it's
              ambitious enough as it is, without its misleading name and "Find a great
              neighborhood" slogan. Even as a proximity indicator it is very much a work
              in progress in terms of businesses and services listed. And in my
              neighborhood it doesn't include post offices, parks and schools. By giving a
              score to an address at this stage in the software's development, it implies
              a level of precision that simply isn't there. But it do very well with the
              neighborhood in the U.S. where I grew up.

              "*Distance: *We are currently using 'as the crow flies' distances rather
              than walking directions. This means if you live across the lake from a
              destination, we are assuming you will swim. We are investigating using
              Google Driving Directions to calculate our distances. Hopefully, Google will
              add Walking Directions in the future!"

              I also noticed that if you type in the name of a city, it calculates for the
              most central location in that city or the city hall, not the city as a
              whole. York, UK got a 95, although my neighborhood of York got a 58. Venice,
              Italy got a 75.

              Randy

              --
              Randall Ghent