Re: [carfree_cities] Complete Streets in CA

  • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2007
      MORE complete, please... not "complete"... better yet, "Better streets",
      or "more street-like roads".

      Adding features for walkers and cyclists, trees and so on... is fine
      and nice, but streets were very, very complete long... way long...
      before cars came around... and now if everyone - all modes - "share" it
      is "complete"? It is revisionist history.

      This is the photo on the home page of the Complete Streets initiative.
      Please notice how much space is still used for car movement and storage
      even after the transformation:
      <http://www.completestreets.org/images/transform.gif>

      I don't think so. Count me out on using that name. I know about
      everything that is needed for a complete street - a real street - and
      cars are not included.

      - T

      Claude Willey wrote:

      > http://www.smartgrowth.org/news/article.asp?art=6132&state=5
      > <http://www.smartgrowth.org/news/article.asp?art=6132&state=5>
      >
      > ''Complete Streets'' Bill Would Put Focus on Safer Biking and Walking
      > in California Communities
      >
      > Denouncing multilane high-speed streets and boulevards built only for
      > cars, with no regard for walkers, bikers or bus riders, as ''the
      > blight of suburbia and many city neighborhoods,'' largely responsible
      > for the death of some 700 pedestrians and the injury of 1,400 across
      > the state each year, [...]

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory