Re: Rail Travel Advantages

  • Erik Sandblom
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22, 2007
      wrote:

      > Erik Sandblom said:
      >
      > >Now assume that the tracks are dedicated to commuter trains only.
      > >Now we can run a train every five minutes, that's twelve trains
      per
      > >hour or 12 x 740 = 8880 seats per hour. For that capacity you
      need
      > >between six and ten lanes of highway. And a lot of parking.
      >
      > Actually, the comparison is even more favorable than that.
      > Quoting myself in Carfree Cities:
      >
      > A single metro track can move more than 50,000 seated passengers
      per hour.

      For the general public, a number like 50 000 passengers per hour is
      hard to relate to. Many people will be unaware of what a big
      contribution public transport is already making to their own cities,
      here and now. To make that clear, it is very helpful to take the
      existing timetable as a starting point. Anyone can verify a
      timetable, and finding out the seating capacity of a train is not
      very hard.

      Together with the two-second rule, it becomes very easy to explain
      that public transport is already doing the work of several freeway
      lanes, and can be expanded to do more. I often see a fatalistic
      attitude that more freeways are somehow inevitable, and the timetable-
      and-seats approach is a very effective eye-opening medicine against
      that fatalism.

      Once eyes are open, you can show how huge, crazy and monstrous the
      freeway projects most cities are being subjected to, really are. And
      how significant and how real the choice really is. Otherwise people
      will just say "it will never work in our city, it only works in
      Exotic and Faraway Places because they are Different".

      Erik Sandblom
    • Warren Weisman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 22, 2007
        The other day I was cycling through town (Eugene,
        Oregon) and a train came through town carrying 40-foot
        van trailers from tractor-trailers on flatcars.
        Curiosity got the best of me, so I stopped and counted
        the trailers. Just how many tractor-trailers can a
        train with two engines do the work of? There was 120
        trailers. That is: one hundred and twenty.

        http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/