Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Rail Travel Advantages

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22 3:27 PM
      Erik Sandblom said:

      >Now assume that the tracks are dedicated to commuter trains only.
      >Now we can run a train every five minutes, that's twelve trains per
      >hour or 12 x 740 = 8880 seats per hour. For that capacity you need
      >between six and ten lanes of highway. And a lot of parking.

      Actually, the comparison is even more favorable than that.
      Quoting myself in Carfree Cities:

      A single metro track can move more than 50,000 seated passengers per hour. This is derived as follows:

      Minimum headway (minutes) 1
      Trains/hr 60
      Cars/train 12
      Seats/car 80
      Seated passengers/hr 60 x 12 x 80 = 57,600

      I suspect that some metro lines in Tokyo operate far
      above this figure during rush hour. They LITERALLY
      pack them in. My numbers are based on seated passengers.

      Even Amtrak manages to run 20 trains an hour in each
      direction through the Hudson tunnels.

      It's only at extreme traffic levels that more than
      two tracks are needed to carry all passenger traffic.

      Most US freight railroads operate these days with
      single-track main lines and still manage to move
      37% of the nation's ton-miles on such skimpy
      infrastructure. (These lines were once all two-track
      territory. The New York Central was, I believe, once
      four tracks between New York and Buffalo. If I'm not
      mistaken, quite a lot of this is single-track territory
      today. Signaling and control improvements have allowed
      extremely intensive exploitation of track.

      Regards,

      ----- ### -----
    • Erik Sandblom
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 22 5:21 PM
        wrote:

        > Erik Sandblom said:
        >
        > >Now assume that the tracks are dedicated to commuter trains only.
        > >Now we can run a train every five minutes, that's twelve trains
        per
        > >hour or 12 x 740 = 8880 seats per hour. For that capacity you
        need
        > >between six and ten lanes of highway. And a lot of parking.
        >
        > Actually, the comparison is even more favorable than that.
        > Quoting myself in Carfree Cities:
        >
        > A single metro track can move more than 50,000 seated passengers
        per hour.

        For the general public, a number like 50 000 passengers per hour is
        hard to relate to. Many people will be unaware of what a big
        contribution public transport is already making to their own cities,
        here and now. To make that clear, it is very helpful to take the
        existing timetable as a starting point. Anyone can verify a
        timetable, and finding out the seating capacity of a train is not
        very hard.

        Together with the two-second rule, it becomes very easy to explain
        that public transport is already doing the work of several freeway
        lanes, and can be expanded to do more. I often see a fatalistic
        attitude that more freeways are somehow inevitable, and the timetable-
        and-seats approach is a very effective eye-opening medicine against
        that fatalism.

        Once eyes are open, you can show how huge, crazy and monstrous the
        freeway projects most cities are being subjected to, really are. And
        how significant and how real the choice really is. Otherwise people
        will just say "it will never work in our city, it only works in
        Exotic and Faraway Places because they are Different".

        Erik Sandblom
      • Warren Weisman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 22 7:21 PM
          The other day I was cycling through town (Eugene,
          Oregon) and a train came through town carrying 40-foot
          van trailers from tractor-trailers on flatcars.
          Curiosity got the best of me, so I stopped and counted
          the trailers. Just how many tractor-trailers can a
          train with two engines do the work of? There was 120
          trailers. That is: one hundred and twenty.

          http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/