Complete Streets in CA

  • Claude Willey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2007
      http://www.smartgrowth.org/news/article.asp?art=6132&state=5

      ''Complete Streets'' Bill Would Put Focus on Safer Biking and Walking
      in California Communities

      Denouncing multilane high-speed streets and boulevards built only for
      cars, with no regard for walkers, bikers or bus riders, as ''the
      blight of suburbia and many city neighborhoods,'' largely responsible
      for the death of some 700 pedestrians and the injury of 1,400 across
      the state each year, The Sacramento Bee urges unanimous Senate
      approval for Democratic Assemblyman Mark Leno's ''complete streets''
      bill (AB 1358), which passed the Assembly on a party-line vote
      against opposition from almost all Republicans.

      ''Last time we checked, Republicans walked on two legs and
      occasionally rode bikes,'' the daily says, puzzled by their hostility
      to the bill, which requires local governments to meet all road user
      needs in mobility updates to general plans, ensuring streets with
      sidewalks, bike lanes, transit stops and tree cover.

      In the capital region, Sacramento, Davis, Roseville, Folsom and other
      cities are already creating complete streets, the daily observes,
      pointing out that the state Office of Planning and Research would
      spend ''a mere $150,000'' on complete street guidelines, whose
      implementation would cost local governments a total of $500,000 in
      some years.

      ''As California's population gets older,'' the daily says,
      ''alternatives to the automobile will become even more important.''

      Noting that currently about one-fifth of California's elderly don't
      drive because they don't want to or can't, that the population over
      65 will double by 2030, and that AARP's state chapter supports the
      bill, the daily concludes, ''There's no reason why protecting kids,
      the elderly and other people afoot should be a partisan issue.'' --
      The Sacramento Bee 7/2/2007

      * * *

      http://www.sacbee.com/110/story/251408.html

      Editorial: Complete the streets
      Bill would promote safer walking, biking

      Published 12:00 am PDT Monday, July 2, 2007
      Story appeared in EDITORIALS section, Page B4

      They're the blight of suburbia and many city neighborhoods --
      multilane streets and boulevards that accommodate only cars. They
      have no bike lanes. No sidewalks. No pull-outs for bus transit. No
      trees. No medians or crosswalks so kids and other pedestrians can
      safely cross to get to schools, shops or retirement villages.

      You can see these types of streets all over the urbanized parts of
      Sacramento County and in many other California communities. These
      high-speed blacktops are one reason that, each year in California,
      cars kill about 700 pedestrians and injure 14,000 others.

      These boulevards of death now have a polite name -- incomplete
      streets. In a perfect world, incomplete streets would be outlawed and
      phased out of existence. Yet short of such bold action, lawmakers
      could take action this year to encourage more complete streets as
      communities plan for future growth. They could enact Assembly Bill
      1358, by Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, which requires local governments
      to accommodate all users of the road when revising the circulation
      element of their general plans.

      Currently, California's government code is silent on the need to
      accommodate pedestrians, bicyclists and transit users when planning a
      local transportation system. That needs to change. AB 1358 would
      encourage local governments to work on the front end so streets were
      designed to include bike lanes, transit stops, sidewalks and tree
      cover for walkers.

      Leno's bill passed the Assembly, but it was a party-line vote, with
      nearly all Republicans opposed. This is mystifying. Last time we
      checked, Republicans walked on two legs and occasionally rode bikes.
      Why the opposition to this bill?

      Legislative analysts say it would cost a mere $150,000 for the Office
      of Planning and Research to develop "complete street" guidelines
      mandated by AB 1358. The total cost for local governments to follow
      these guidelines would be about $500,000 in some years. Here in our
      region, Sacramento, Davis, Roseville, Folsom and other communities
      are already building complete streets.

      As California's population gets older, alternatives to the automobile
      will become even more important. At the moment, about one-fifth of
      California elderly don't drive, either because they can't or choose
      not to. The population over 65 is projected to double by 2030, which
      is why the California Chapter of the American Association of Retired
      Persons supports this bill.

      AB 1358's next stop is the Senate Local Government Committee. This
      bill deserves to pass without a single nay vote. There's no reason
      why protecting kids, the elderly and other people afoot should be a
      partisan issue.

      Copyright © The Sacramento Bee

      *** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this
      material is distributed, without profit, for research and educational
      purposes only. ***

    • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2007
        MORE complete, please... not "complete"... better yet, "Better streets",
        or "more street-like roads".

        Adding features for walkers and cyclists, trees and so on... is fine
        and nice, but streets were very, very complete long... way long...
        before cars came around... and now if everyone - all modes - "share" it
        is "complete"? It is revisionist history.

        This is the photo on the home page of the Complete Streets initiative.
        Please notice how much space is still used for car movement and storage
        even after the transformation:
        <http://www.completestreets.org/images/transform.gif>

        I don't think so. Count me out on using that name. I know about
        everything that is needed for a complete street - a real street - and
        cars are not included.

        - T

        Claude Willey wrote:

        > http://www.smartgrowth.org/news/article.asp?art=6132&state=5
        > <http://www.smartgrowth.org/news/article.asp?art=6132&state=5>
        >
        > ''Complete Streets'' Bill Would Put Focus on Safer Biking and Walking
        > in California Communities
        >
        > Denouncing multilane high-speed streets and boulevards built only for
        > cars, with no regard for walkers, bikers or bus riders, as ''the
        > blight of suburbia and many city neighborhoods,'' largely responsible
        > for the death of some 700 pedestrians and the injury of 1,400 across
        > the state each year, [...]

        Todd Edelman
        Director
        Green Idea Factory