Re: Plug-in hybrid cars?

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 1:07 PM
      My house is anything but "green": it was built in 1951 and has the original windows and
      outside doors. Fortunately, the biggest energy user (HVAC) was installed in 1995, so it's not a
      noisemaking energy hog.

      If I weren't renting the house, there are a handful of energy-saving tricks up a homeowner's
      sleeve: insulate the subfloor, new doors and windows, etc.

      It seems that "energy efficient" buildings are actually "energy elsewhere" buildings. The
      building owner can develop on cheap land in a distant suburb, receive massive subsidies for
      building a so-called "green" building, get a free ad on page 1A of the local newspaper, and
      the building's true energy cost is passed to employees/customers/visitors, who have to pay
      their own way out there.

      > Someone noticed! Thanks Matt, now I don't feel so lonely any more! I'm
      > working my way to a proper green building, and the first step was
      > picking the right site. -Dawie
    • dawie_coetzee
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 1:13 AM
        Keep in mind that windows and doors needn't be replaced to improve
        their performance dramatically. Depending on the design, single-
        glazed timber windows can often be converted to double-glazing by
        cutting out reveal profiles and substituting glazing beads.
        Similarly, reliefs can be cut to accommodate widely-available
        synthetic sealing profiles. That way there is less wastage of
        resources (perhaps rare hardwoods), and the money goes to local
        skilled labour rather than to centralized heavy industry.

        I'm worried about the emerging big-business/eco-authoritarian
        approach that would foist new, mass-produced "approved" windows and
        doors on us, when the same immediate result can be achieved by
        gentler means whose systemic repercussions render them far more
        sustainable in the long run.

        -D

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hohmeister"