Re: Fuel-Sipping Trains

  • dawie_coetzee
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
      Localization.

      "...it is obvious that if we are serious about sustainability, we
      will have to accept that international trade and travel will be
      slower and more expensive."

      Precisely. I know Joel Crawford takes a somewhat contrary position in
      his book, but I'm a firm localist. Pedestrian cities and localized
      economies are perfect for each other. Indeed, the one only comes to
      full fruition in the context of the other.

      -Dawie

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg
      <rickrise@...> wrote:

      > On Jun 17, 2007, at 8:40 PM, Matt Hohmeister wrote:
      >
      > > Actually, this brings up a question I've been wondering for some
      > > time. In an era of dwindling
      > > oil supplies, are we better off with jets or ships? 747 or QM2?
      Or