Gary or Bust? Was: Abandoned district

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2007
      Ulrich Nehls sent this:

      >I just found this web site: http://www.growingchicago.com/images/other/mypicsVI/
      >
      >with pictures from abandoned Downtown Gary Indiana. Looks a bit like the places close to the Berlin wall before 1989. I like the pictures anyway because there are nearly no cars. Are there more places like this in the USA?
      >
      >Just imagine such an area rebuilt car free!

      My answer to Uli was:

      This has been a specific dream of mine. Philadelphia recently
      demolished 20,000 (?) houses in a derelict area that could
      have easily been made carfree, and with very little work or
      expense---narrow streets, 3-4 story houses, perfectly serviceable
      grid of streets. Now gone. Story repeated in lots of US center cities.

      Regards,

      Joel