Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Fuel-Sipping Trains

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 13, 2007
      Hmmm--sorry about that. I was working from memory and did not double
      check as I did with the Japanese info.

      Rick

      On Jun 13, 2007, at 4:24 PM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

      >> As far as I know there has been one fatality in forty+ years of
      >> bullet train travel: in Germany (faulty wheel caused a derailment).
      >

      > Not to pick nits, but the German ICE wreck facts are:
      >
      > Nearly 100 killed
      > Speed only 200 km/hr (not true high-speed operation)
      > A tire came off a wheel, train derailed several km. before
      > a switch at which the train split, rear 2/3s of
      > train ran into an abutment at full speed
      >
      > This was a really terrible wreck, and I think many
      > more were badly injured.
      >
      > The steel tire coming off a wheel is a known risk but
      > is supposed to be detected before disaster strikes.
      > (manufacturing defect in this case)
      >
      > If an alert passenger had pulled the rip cord when the
      > wheels started to hammer on the concrete (?) ties,
      > there probably would have been no wreck.
      >

      > ----- ### -----
      > J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      > mailbox@... http://www.carfree.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com
    • Joel Siegel
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 13, 2007
        I'm hoping this is on-topic (certainly follows the subject line). It concerns the fuel/energy requirements for _high-speed_ rail.

        George Monbiot has an article in the 7-May-2007 issue of The Nation. Titled "Flying Into Trouble", it mostly covers the environmental damage (particularly greenhouse emissions) resulting from air travel.

        A paragraph from the article on that topic: "Carbon dioxide emissions per passenger mile from a standard airliner are very similar to those from cars. But you can cover nearly 15,000 miles in one day by plane. The CO2 produced by planes is augmented by the other greenhouse gases they release, magnifying its effect by 270 percent. This means that flying is one of the most destructive things we can do."

        Monbiot also observes that "new [aviation] fuels are the stuff of fantasy[]", that "[t]he standard jet engine has more or less reached the limits of efficiency, and there is no replacement anywhere near production[]", and that new aircraft designs which might cut fuel consumption by 30% or so are barely in the "concept" stage, with unproven workability or stability.

        High-speed rail does not escape criticism, however.

        "The obvious replacements for planes are scarcely better. Fast passenger ships appear to be even worse for the environment than jets. ... [Paragraph] Nor are ultra-high-speed trains the answer. Though trains traveling at normal speeds have much lower carbon emissions than airplanes, Professor Roger Kemp of Lancaster University shows that energy consumption rises dramatically at speeds above 125 miles per hour. Increasing the speed from 140 to 220 mph almost doubles the amount of fuel burned. If the trains are powered by electricity, and if that electricity is produced by plants burning fossil fuels, they cause more CO2 emissions than planes. Running trains on renewable electricity is certainly possible, but this faces problems: Trains must run on time, and that means there is little room for 'demand management,' which means reducing the electricity load in response to fluctuations in supply. In all transport systems, high performance is incompatible with low consumption. The faster you go, the more energy you need."

        In general, the last sentence is the important one: Monbiot contends that high speed is incompatible with environmental stewardship, particularly with preventing runaway climate change, at least with today's technologies or those whose viability becomes reasonably foreseeable in the near future.

        Thoughts?

        Regards,

        Joel (Siegel)
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 13, 2007
          Joel Siegel said:

          >High-speed rail does not escape criticism, however.
          >
          >"The obvious replacements for planes are scarcely better. Fast passenger ships appear to be even worse for the environment than jets. ... [Paragraph] Nor are ultra-high-speed trains the answer. Though trains traveling at normal speeds have much lower carbon emissions than airplanes, Professor Roger Kemp of Lancaster University shows that energy consumption rises dramatically at speeds above 125 miles per hour. Increasing the speed from 140 to 220 mph almost doubles the amount of fuel burned. If the trains are powered by electricity, and if that electricity is produced by plants burning fossil fuels, they cause more CO2 emissions than planes. Running trains on renewable electricity is certainly possible, but this faces problems: Trains must run on time, and that means there is little room for 'demand management,' which means reducing the electricity load in response to fluctuations in supply. In all transport systems, high performance is incompatible with low consumption. The faster you go, the more energy you need."

          That's physics at work: resistance increases with the
          square of the speed. There are ways around it, to a degree.
          If the trains are light, energy requirements are much
          reduced. If the streamlining is good, resistances is
          also reduced. I have heard (no substantiation) that the
          double-decker TGVs running from Lyon to Paris use about
          the same amount of seat-mile energy as conventional
          trains despite running at 300 km/hr or so. They are
          very light weight, have low frontal area for the number
          of seats, and the streamlining is good. That's about
          the limit of the technology, IMHO. I also think that
          it probably doesn't make sense to run trains much above
          300 km/hr. The newest TGVs are 360, but the cost is
          large and the actual reduction in travel time is not
          great. Not worth the cost?

          It is NOT all that hard to store electricity, although
          there are losses. Pump storage is proven and can be
          used, essentially, to store electricity. Pump water
          up hill when there's plenty of electricity. Let it
          flow back down hill to turn generators when there's
          not enough. Losses are about 30% IIRC.

          But, in general, things are probably going to have to
          slow down, unless you go with the nuke option.

          Regards,

          Joel

          ----- ### -----
        • dawie_coetzee
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 14, 2007
            There are secondary effects that are not reflected in any of these
            comparisons. For instance, a railway station within easy reach of
            pedestrians will both be symptomatic of and increase the viability of
            pedestrian-accessible destinations in general. Compared with car travel
            there is therefore at worst a lesser tendency to generate a need to
            travel. In practice there might well be a tendency to reduce the need
            to travel.

            We all know how car-dominated environments create dependence on cars,
            requiring that we take longer trips more often. A truer comparison
            might be 1km by train to perhaps 8km by car, 7km of the latter
            contributed solely by the sort of environment associated with that mode
            of transport. Has anyone actually quantified this?

            -Dawie

            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...>
            wrote:

            > > Fuel-sipping trains
            > > June 11, 2007

          • Jym Dyer
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 14, 2007
              > A 26 MPG Honda Civic fully loaded with five passengers?
              > 130 passenger miles per gallon.

              =v= In the U.S. cars are rarely filled to seating capacity.
              The average ridership is slightly over 1 person per car.
              So it's hard to take numbers like that seriously.

              =v= Also, wow, Honda Civics are way down to 26 MPG now?

              =v= One complication in these comparisons is that passenger
              rail in the U.S. has very little dedicated track. For the
              most part Amtrak runs on track owned by freight companies.

              =v= Another complication is that Amtrak is subject to a dogmatic
              "business model" that competing modes are not. The ideology is
              that Amtrak should turn a profit, and there's a budget fight for
              its small subsidy every year. So service keeps getting hurt and
              the trains do such things as haul freight along with passengers
              (preventing a switchover to lighter trains).

              =v= Meanwhile, of course, cars and planes enjoy a staggeringly
              high and rarely-mentioned subsidy.
              <_Jym_>
            • Greg Steele
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 14, 2007
                There is an accountant joke I once heard where three accountants are
                applying for an executive position. The CEO of the company asks
                each of the candidates what is 2+2. Two of the applicants says 4
                and don't get the job. The third, who gets the job, asks the
                CEO, "What do you want it to be?"

                I am not aware of any studies that would answer some important
                questions raised in this discussion and in the larger discussion
                about funding for rail.

                The laws of physics say that the faster an object moves through
                space the more resistance it will encounter, therefore, more energy
                is required to achieve higher speeds. I am sure that the field of
                aero-dynamics has can provide formulas to quantify this in terms of
                frontal area and speed. What is lacking is a quantified functional
                relationship of increased weight and drag from adding one additional
                coach car to a train-set. Intuitively, it seems that adding cars
                (therefore, more passengers) would add a very small increase in
                energy usage while greatly improving the passenger- miles/gallon
                ratio. Therefore, one could state the passenger- miles/gallon to be
                anything they wanted to by adding or subtracting the number of
                coaches/passengers per train. There are of course practical limits
                to how long a passenger train can be in terms of station platforms
                and crews. In addition, at some point the weight of the train will
                require an additional locomotive which alters the equation.

                I have heard passenger – miles/gallon figures that are all over the
                map. Until someone does some hard science on this that deduces the
                issue to friction of steel wheels on steel rails vs. rubber wheels
                on assault. I suggest that we look at any calculation of passenger –
                miles/gallon will a great deal of skepticism.
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 14, 2007
                  This is all pretty tangential. The basic physics are:

                  It takes lots of energy to accelerate a train, and the
                  total amount of that energy increases with the SQUARE
                  of the speed.

                  It takes lots of energy to drag trains up hills; this
                  is related to weight and elevation, not to speed.

                  Long, thin objects have high "Reynolds Numbers" which
                  means that the amount of air drag is considerably lower
                  than for short, fat objects.

                  Mass of a train has no effect whatever on the amount
                  of aerodynamic drag.

                  Light, long, streamlined trains are the most efficient.
                  Slower trains are more efficient than faster ones, all
                  other things being equal.

                  Again, the TGV double-decker gets good efficiency despite
                  its very high speed.

                  Regards,

                  ----- ### -----
                • Matt Hohmeister
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007
                    Actually, this brings up a question I've been wondering for some time. In an era of dwindling
                    oil supplies, are we better off with jets or ships? 747 or QM2? Or is there another solution?
                    Anybody?

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007
                      On Jun 17, 2007, at 8:40 PM, Matt Hohmeister wrote:

                      > Actually, this brings up a question I've been wondering for some
                      > time. In an era of dwindling
                      > oil supplies, are we better off with jets or ships? 747 or QM2? Or
                      > is there another solution?
                      > Anybody?

                      Ships do not have to be powered by oil or coal. Highly refined
                      sailing vessels with solar auxiliary power for days of calms and for
                      harbor maneuvering can move considerable tonnage and numbers of
                      passengers. However, it is obvious that if we are serious about
                      sustainability, we will have to accept that international trade and
                      travel will be slower and more expensive. (Although someone, upon my
                      telling them this, suggested that sail transport labor costs could be
                      lowered by using crews of slaves...I hope they were kidding.)

                      And no, I don't think nuclear-powered ships are the answer!

                      http://tinyurl.com/25u5bt

                      Rick
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                        Localization.

                        "...it is obvious that if we are serious about sustainability, we
                        will have to accept that international trade and travel will be
                        slower and more expensive."

                        Precisely. I know Joel Crawford takes a somewhat contrary position in
                        his book, but I'm a firm localist. Pedestrian cities and localized
                        economies are perfect for each other. Indeed, the one only comes to
                        full fruition in the context of the other.