Another justification for fare-free transit

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2007
      StarMetro, Tallahassee's transit system, has just recently stopped accepting pennies in their
      fareboxes. It sounds like they were tired of holding up buses while passengers stuffed 125
      pennies into the farebox.

      When the bus arrives at the stop, I typically have a dollar and a quarter on the ready to put in
      the farebox. Some people, though, aren't so fortunate. When the fare was $1, I saw a driver,
      out of the goodness of his heart, accept a fare of 99 cents after a passenger, obviously not
      with it, inserted every coin from their pockets.

      StarMetro's fares represent something like 1/3 of the system's operating costs. I see no
      reason why the city couldn't afford to pitch in 100%, especially since they just paid Piper Jet
      $90M to supposedly "create" 1500 local jobs ($60,000 per job).
    • dubluth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 2007
        I don't see how refusing to accept pennies for payment justifies
        fare-free transit. I know of few vending machines that accept
        pennies, yet I haven't heard use that fact to argue that vending
        machines should dispense their goodies for a price of zero to anyone.

        For me, the bus fare box serves as an easy way to spend my pennies. I
        reluctantly support transit agencies' refusal of pennies as a way to
        keep costs down. I expect that many more people in the South (my
        region of origin) would pay with pennies and other coins, making it
        more of a problem there.

        Of course, we're all grateful to Tallahasse taxpayers for subsidizing
        Piper Jet's business operations :-P <sarcasm intended>

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hohmeister" <mdh6214@...>