NY TV news distort congestion pricing

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2007
      Mark Fleischmann sent this interesting article to me:

      In the first stages of its coverage of Mayor Bloomberg's proposal for congestion pricing in midtown Manhattan, local news media consistently distorted issue by interviewing supposedly real New Yorkers -- but only from the windows of their cars!

      <http://quietriverpress.com/news.html#cw11>http://quietriverpress.com/news.html#cw11

      Now that the issue has moved on to the state legislature, the issue is being framed as elitist Manhattanites against the poor schlumps in the outer boroughs. This is more subtle but equally devious. No news report I've yet seen gives a second of airtime to the car-free majority of Manhattan residents.

      Regards,

      Joel

    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2007
        "The cars below knew nothing. People in cars weren't New Yorkers
        anyway, they'd suffered some basic misunderstanding."
        -- Jonathan Lethem, _The_Fortress_of_Solitude_