Re: Automobilism breeds insanity....

  • dawie_coetzee
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
      Of course that is no solution.

      The problem with cars "becoming less polluting all the time" is that
      that process is inextricably linked to a manufacturing scenario in
      which the motor industry is too powerful, too productive, and just
      plain too big. We're better off with simpler, cruder, "dirtier" cars,
      if they exist in vastly reduced numbers.

      There is virtually no understanding that "fewness" and "numerousness"
      are design characteristics of products and methods of production. The
      current trend to an apparent increase in efficiency is functionally
      bound to an increase in intrinsic numerousness. In other words, the
      new cars can only exist in large numbers, and only if they are
      consumed and replaced rapidly.

      One of the myriad advantages of the pedestrian city is that (given a
      suitable legislative milieu) it is capable of supporting a far better
      motor industry, that is, one extremely small in scope, politically
      not very powerful, locally-oriented and small-business-based, full of
      creative vibrance, and otherwise not at all important in the scheme
      of things.

      -Dawie Coetzee

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Edelman, Green Idea

      www.dutchnews.nl: