Re: [carfree_cities] Automobilism breeds insanity....

  • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2007
      Speaking of closed roads, the following from 7 June www.dutchnews.nl:

      Driven mad -
      Now here is a novel idea to solve the Netherlands’ endless traffic jam
      problems - from the boss of the Dutch construction industry lobby group:
      build new roads, but don’t let anyone drive on them. Elco Brinkman tells
      the Financieele Dagblad today that this is the only way to stop the
      country becoming gridlocked. New road projects are being put on hold
      because of worries about air quality - of the 24 new roads, 16 cannot be
      given the green light because of pollution fears. But at the same time,
      the government has set aside €4bn to fund all the projects and it would
      be a pity to let the cash go to waste. So, he says, why not let the
      builders build the roads, but refuse to let drivers use them until the
      worries about air quality have been soothed? Cars are becoming less
      polluting all the time, so once air quality standards can be met the
      roads can be given a ‘users licence’ and opened to traffic. Only a cynic
      would suggest that the real advantage is that the road builders
      themselves could continue to earn their fat cheques while all the
      wrangling over permits and pollution continues. And of course, the fury
      of motorists
      stuck in jams despite all the kilometres of untouched tarmac will lead
      to intense lobbying for the new roads to be opened up to cars anyway,
      permit or not.

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      Korunní 72
      CZ-10100 Praha 10
      Czech Republic

      ++420 605 915 970
      ++420 222 517 832
      Skype: toddedelman

      edelman@...

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World Carfree Network
      www.worldcarfree.net
    • dawie_coetzee
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
        Of course that is no solution.

        The problem with cars "becoming less polluting all the time" is that
        that process is inextricably linked to a manufacturing scenario in
        which the motor industry is too powerful, too productive, and just
        plain too big. We're better off with simpler, cruder, "dirtier" cars,
        if they exist in vastly reduced numbers.

        There is virtually no understanding that "fewness" and "numerousness"
        are design characteristics of products and methods of production. The
        current trend to an apparent increase in efficiency is functionally
        bound to an increase in intrinsic numerousness. In other words, the
        new cars can only exist in large numbers, and only if they are
        consumed and replaced rapidly.

        One of the myriad advantages of the pedestrian city is that (given a
        suitable legislative milieu) it is capable of supporting a far better
        motor industry, that is, one extremely small in scope, politically
        not very powerful, locally-oriented and small-business-based, full of
        creative vibrance, and otherwise not at all important in the scheme
        of things.

        -Dawie Coetzee

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Edelman, Green Idea