Automobilism breeds insanity....

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2007
      I mean, just read this:

> [...]
      > But people still want to go 65, and they don't have a lot of
      > patience. They don't like it when you cut their route off."
      >
      > The highway was built at a time when the high desert population was
      > sparse.
      >
      > But now, the road connects two fast-growing exurbs: the Antelope
      > Valley in Los Angeles County and the Victorville/Hesperia area of
      > San Bernardino County.
      >
      > Life in the high desert is a trade-off: affordable housing but
      > tough commutes. But it's a trade-off a growing number of people are
      > willing to make.
      >
      > Estimates from the Southern California Assn. of Governments predict
      > the Antelope Valley will see its population jump from 288,000 to
      > 537,000 in 20 years. Victorville and surrounding communities are
      > expected to grow from 237,000 to 398,000 over the same period,
      > according to SCAG.
      >
      > And that doesn't count the huge 60,000-home Centennial development
      > planned for near the 138's terminus at Interstate 5.
      >
      > There is general agreement that the long-term solution is an east-
      > west high desert freeway.
      >
      > But with no funds on the horizon, some have proposed the
      > controversial idea of having a private entity build a Palmdale-to-
      > Victorville toll road, at a likely price of $1 billion or more.
      >
      > Local leaders say something — either public or private — needs to
      > be done.
      >
      > "If we don't invest in these places now, it's only going to be more
      > expensive in the future," said state Sen. George Runner (R-
      > Lancaster). "We have to do planning now, because this is where
      > people are going to move to in the future."
      >
      > For now, the roadwork is more modest.
      >
      > Caltrans hopes to add 8-foot shoulders, a 4-foot median and two
      > lanes to portions of the 138. Some of the work on the L.A. County
      > stretch of the road has been completed. CHP Lt. Andria Witmer said
      > the number of fatal crashes has gone down there, and that the wider
      > stretches are safer.
      >
      > Area residents generally agree that the improvements are necessary
      > but say the roadwork can be trying in a place with fewer people and
      > cars than the L.A. Basin — and fewer alternative routes.
      >
      > "I've had quite a few tales of frustration," said Mike Clayton, 44,
      > of Piñon Hills, who said his driving time has tripled. "But I would
      > have wanted to write an angry letter, not run over someone's foot."
      >
      > Geun Yi, former manager of the Mountain Top Cafe at the
      > intersection of the 138 and 2 highways, said his business suffered
      > as the number of customers stopping at the roadside restaurant
      > trickled to only a few each day.
      >
      > "My restaurant has been turned into a construction site," Yi said.
      >
      > Last month, the cafe closed its doors for good.
      >
      > Though he blamed the construction for the loss of the cafe, Yi
      > reluctantly conceded that "widening the road has to be done. I am
      > not against that. So many people have died on this road."

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com
    • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2007
        Speaking of closed roads, the following from 7 June www.dutchnews.nl:

        Driven mad -
        Now here is a novel idea to solve the Netherlands’ endless traffic jam
        problems - from the boss of the Dutch construction industry lobby group:
        build new roads, but don’t let anyone drive on them. Elco Brinkman tells
        the Financieele Dagblad today that this is the only way to stop the
        country becoming gridlocked. New road projects are being put on hold
        because of worries about air quality - of the 24 new roads, 16 cannot be
        given the green light because of pollution fears. But at the same time,
        the government has set aside €4bn to fund all the projects and it would
        be a pity to let the cash go to waste. So, he says, why not let the
        builders build the roads, but refuse to let drivers use them until the
        worries about air quality have been soothed? Cars are becoming less
        polluting all the time, so once air quality standards can be met the
        roads can be given a ‘users licence’ and opened to traffic. Only a cynic
        would suggest that the real advantage is that the road builders
        themselves could continue to earn their fat cheques while all the
        wrangling over permits and pollution continues. And of course, the fury
        of motorists
        stuck in jams despite all the kilometres of untouched tarmac will lead
        to intense lobbying for the new roads to be opened up to cars anyway,
        permit or not.

        Todd Edelman
        Director
        Green Idea Factory

        Korunní 72
        CZ-10100 Praha 10
        Czech Republic

        ++420 605 915 970
        ++420 222 517 832
        Skype: toddedelman

        edelman@...

        Green Idea Factory,
        a member of World Carfree Network
        www.worldcarfree.net
      • dawie_coetzee
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
          Of course that is no solution.

          The problem with cars "becoming less polluting all the time" is that
          that process is inextricably linked to a manufacturing scenario in
          which the motor industry is too powerful, too productive, and just
          plain too big. We're better off with simpler, cruder, "dirtier" cars,
          if they exist in vastly reduced numbers.

          There is virtually no understanding that "fewness" and "numerousness"
          are design characteristics of products and methods of production. The
          current trend to an apparent increase in efficiency is functionally
          bound to an increase in intrinsic numerousness. In other words, the
          new cars can only exist in large numbers, and only if they are
          consumed and replaced rapidly.

          One of the myriad advantages of the pedestrian city is that (given a
          suitable legislative milieu) it is capable of supporting a far better
          motor industry, that is, one extremely small in scope, politically
          not very powerful, locally-oriented and small-business-based, full of
          creative vibrance, and otherwise not at all important in the scheme
          of things.

          -Dawie Coetzee

          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Edelman, Green Idea