Re:[carfree_network][carfree_cities]Lester Brown, wannabe carfree

  • lela@ecopolitics.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2007
      ...Interesting, but we're still not at carfree, just knocking on the door...

      And we will not be at carfree in North America, until something catastrophic
      takes place for governments to mobilize themselves.

      Gil Penalosa, brother of Enrique Penalosa, now resides in Toronto, and he
      sees that not all politicians are tuned in to the evolving circumstances of
      urban infrastructure.

      Our present Mayor, an articulate man but an underachiever, basks in rhetorics
      and the comfort of status quo, to risk any drastic changes toward
      car-freeness.
      As a result we continue to choke in our car-clogged city, and that is
      a North American malady at large. This reality overrides idealism.

      Lela