Re: DPZ's latest

  • dawie_coetzee
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4 4:26 AM
      At the risk of stating the obvious, two observations:

      1. With reference to the bottom aerial perspective on the
      development's website, that's a lot of roadway, isn't it?

      2. Where's the ground-floor light-industrial?

      Why is the residential function seen as essentially unproductive? Why
      this emphasis on leisure? Who would want to live in a perpetual
      holiday resort? A hotel is just a comfortable prison: it doesn't
      represent freedom.

      There's no better model than the medieval agrarian village - for a
      working agrarian community. Are these buyers really going to farm?
      Will they even be allowed to?

      There is one thing lacking in the legacy of the Arts and Crafts
      movement, namely a creative appreciation of medieval urban forms. It
      belatedly needs to be redressed: but this doesn't quite do it.

      -Dawie Coetzee

      wrote:

      > See:
      >
      > http://www.asla.org/land/dirt/blog/index.cfm?
      mode=entry&entry=4305FF61-1422-1874-817C3BBF0C655C14

      > But Where Will the Baron Live? Florida Development to Try New
      Medievalism

      Message 2 of 3 , May 4 5:57 AM
        Hi All,

        Dawie said:

        >There's no better model than the medieval agrarian village - for a
        >working agrarian community. Are these buyers really going to farm?
        >Will they even be allowed to?
        >
        >There is one thing lacking in the legacy of the Arts and Crafts
        >movement, namely a creative appreciation of medieval urban forms. It
        >belatedly needs to be redressed: but this doesn't quite do it.

        I should perhaps already have mentioned that Carfree Design Manual
        nearly carried the sub-title: The New Medievalism. I'm not going
        to use that, as it will confuse many people. There are, however,
        a great many advantages to medieval urban arrangements, and I'm
        pleased to see that some people are recognizing this, even if
        the result is imperfect.

        Regards,

        Joel