DPZ's latest

    Message 1 of 3 , May 3 4:43 AM
      See:

      http://www.asla.org/land/dirt/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=4305FF61-1422-1874-817C3BBF0C655C14

      But Where Will the Baron Live? Florida Development to Try New Medievalism

      April 30, 2007 10:48 AM
      Related Categories: <http://www.asla.org/land/dirt/blog/index.cfm/Residential>Residential

      This new 600-acre development in Florida's Panhandle might just put New Urbanism on its head, <http://www.sptimes.com/2007/04/25/Business/Call_it_green_medieva.shtml>reports the St. Petersburg Times. "Sky" is not based on bucolic, early 20th-century communities, but rather on an attempt to recreate the hamlets of the Middle Ages, with clusters of homes surrounded by fields and garden plots. The project, largely self-financed, is scheduled to break ground in 2008 and be completed by 2018.

      From the article:
      [Developer Bruce] White's medieval prototype development will come with such modern luxuries as tennis courts, a spa, coffee shops, and the latest in high-tech energy efficiency.

      The development has also scored a $1.8 million grant from the state of Florida to use renewable energy technologies on-site. The Dirt has yet to confirm whether the moat will be a graywater or harvested rainwater system.

      Check the <http://www.dpz.com/project.aspx?type=3&Project_Number=604&Project_Name=Sky>project's website for more details and images.

      and:

      http://www.dpz.com/project.aspx?type=3&Project_Number=604&Project_Name=Sky

      Sky presents a new model for growth to Calhoun County by advocating compact development and the preservation of open space in this predominently rural area. Rather than consuming former agricultural land with sprawl, Sky clusters its development into villages and hamlets, offering compact and walkable communities within a greater natural and agricultural environment.

      Three villages are located along the perimeter of the site, linked by picturesque roads. These villages offer intensifi ed development in limited areas, with commercial centers located within walking distance for residents. Smaller, courtyard style homes are provided within the village centers, while larger lots border the roads, providing expansive views over the fi elds. These estate, or hacienda, lots can be partially utilized for agricultural purposes or equestrian activities. Many of these lots are intended to have land preservation covenants, as well as incentive programs encouraging homeowners to build with green, energy-friendly technologies.

      The site is dotted with cypress wetlands, pine forests and farm land, about half of which will be preserved. Creeks, lakes and extensive trail systems for hikers and equestrians offer residents and visitors access to various natural landscapes. Additionally, each village will feature a signifi cant amount of public outdoor space. The community�s primary center will be a treed square and plaza opening towards the northeast of the site, and offering views across the fi elds to a new, man-made lake. A lodge and spa are tucked away beyond this lake, affording visitors solace and relaxation.

      The principles regarding Sky�s environmental and sustainable building policies will be imbedded in the town�s urban and architectural codes. The plan, along with these codes, will enable Sky to become a model environmental development, exhibiting sustainable growth patterns on both the regional and community scales.

      project tearsheet: 142 Kb PDF file

      [The PDF does not seem to be available]

      ----- ### -----
    • dawie_coetzee
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4 4:26 AM
        At the risk of stating the obvious, two observations:

        1. With reference to the bottom aerial perspective on the
        development's website, that's a lot of roadway, isn't it?

        2. Where's the ground-floor light-industrial?

        Why is the residential function seen as essentially unproductive? Why
        this emphasis on leisure? Who would want to live in a perpetual
        holiday resort? A hotel is just a comfortable prison: it doesn't
        represent freedom.

        There's no better model than the medieval agrarian village - for a
        working agrarian community. Are these buyers really going to farm?
        Will they even be allowed to?

        There is one thing lacking in the legacy of the Arts and Crafts
        movement, namely a creative appreciation of medieval urban forms. It
        belatedly needs to be redressed: but this doesn't quite do it.

        -Dawie Coetzee

        Message 3 of 3 , May 4 5:57 AM
          Hi All,

          Dawie said:

          >There's no better model than the medieval agrarian village - for a
          >working agrarian community. Are these buyers really going to farm?
          >Will they even be allowed to?
          >
          >There is one thing lacking in the legacy of the Arts and Crafts
          >movement, namely a creative appreciation of medieval urban forms. It
          >belatedly needs to be redressed: but this doesn't quite do it.

          I should perhaps already have mentioned that Carfree Design Manual
          nearly carried the sub-title: The New Medievalism. I'm not going
          to use that, as it will confuse many people. There are, however,
          a great many advantages to medieval urban arrangements, and I'm
          pleased to see that some people are recognizing this, even if
          the result is imperfect.

          Regards,

          Joel