SF Gate: Can urban design keep you from getting fat?

  • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21 7:25 AM
      Our Cities, Ourselves -
      Can urban design keep you from getting fat?

      By Carol Lloyd, Special to SF Gate <mailto:surreal@...>

      Friday, April 20, 2007

      Because he was going to graduate school, retired environmental
      researcher John Holtzclaw left San Jose and a job that had him driving
      25,000 miles a year. Biking became his primary form of transportation.
      After graduation, he settled in an apartment in the Russian
      Hill-Chinatown area and gave up his car altogether. During those middle
      years when most of us gain girth, Holtzclaw lost 30 pounds bicycling and
      walking up the steep hills.

      Two years ago, Mary Lanosa moved to Pleasant Hill from San Francisco and
      noticed a change for the worse in her well-being and her weight.
      Although the length of her commute remained the same in Pleasant Hill as
      it was when she lived in San Francisco, in the city she used public
      transportation. "In Pleasant Hill you have to drive everywhere, their
      public transit is lousy," she told me via e-mail. "I always felt
      healthier in the City as I had more opportunities to walk places."

      Full story:
      <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/a/2007/04/20/carollloyd.DTL&type=printable>

      Todd Edelman
      Director