Re: climate change report

  • c1ttad1no
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2007
      wrote:

      > What's missing from today's reporting
      > is a dozen maps showing how much sea level will rise
      > over time, how much warmer it will get in various
      > places, and how rainfall patterns will change.
      >
      > If anyone comes across this information, please post
      > links to it here on the list.

      This issue was reported in San Francisco, recently, with a focus on
      the local level. I guess, somehow, none of us remembered to post the
      story here. So, here we go.

      -Doug

      ============================
      CONSEQUENCES OF A RISING BAY

      GLOBAL WARMING: New set of maps reveals how melting polar ice could
      change shoreline and carry a high price for entire region

      New maps show that neighborhoods and roads in many cities near the San
      Francisco Bay shoreline would be under water if global warming causes
      tides to rise as much as 3 feet in the coming decades, and officials
      say regions face key decisions about where people will be able to live
      and build.

      The maps, which the Bay Conservation and Development Commission
      prepared for The Chronicle, offer a detailed look at how a changing
      shoreline would affect life around the bay.

      Parts of Corte Madera, San Rafael, Hayward and Newark and much of the
      Silicon Valley shoreline would be under water, including a portion of
      Moffett Field, the site of NASA Ames Research Center, where Google
      wants to build a 1 million-square-foot campus.

      On the edge of the rising waters would be stadium sites proposed for
      the 49ers -- in Santa Clara and at the Hunters Point Shipyard in San
      Francisco. Fremont's proposed site for the Oakland A's ballpark also
      could be vulnerable to flooding in the 21st century, the maps show.

      MORE (with maps):

      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/18/MNG6SO72DJ1.DTL
    • Christopher Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2007
        The Inited Nations Environment Program has a site in Norway with
        numerous downloadable documents and graphics:

        http://www.grida.no/

        The graphics and maps site (15 pages) is here:

        http://maps.grida.no/go/searchFree/q/climate+change

        (You need to search around a bit to find relevant graphics and maps...)

        Another site, which uses Google maps as its base, illustrates
        foreseeable effects of different degrees of sea level rise:

        http://flood.firetree.net/

        Hope these turn out useful...

        Chris Miller

        Christopher Miller
        Montreal QC Canada

        On 7-Apr-07, at 7:59 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Most of you probably know by now that the IPCC was
        > able to publish a report yesterday that shows we're
        > in pretty deep trouble with climate change. The report
        > is, alas, 1500 pages long, and I'm not going to be
        > able to read it. What's missing from today's reporting
        > is a dozen maps showing how much sea level will rise
        > over time, how much warmer it will get in various
        > places, and how rainfall patterns will change.
        >
        > If anyone comes across this information, please post
        > links to it here on the list.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Joel
        >
        > ----- ### -----
        > J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        > mailbox@... http://www.carfree.com

      • Christopher Miller
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2007
          On 8-Apr-07, at 5:02 PM, Christopher Miller wrote:

          > The Inited Nations Environment Program has a site in Norway with
          > numerous downloadable documents and graphics:
          (...)

          That should of course be United Nations Environment Program...

          Christopher Miller
          Montreal QC Canada