Metro in power failure

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2007
      Thinking recently about emergency planning, it came to my mind: what
      happens to a metro in a power failure? A few thoughts come to mind:

      - In Joel's carfree city prototype, what's the maximum number of metro
      and metro-freight trains that would be in operation at any given
      moment? What would the maximum power consumption be?

      - In the event of a municipal utility failure, what happens with the
      metro? Are the trains able to glide without power to the next station
      to allow a total evacuation without making passengers walk through
      tunnels?

      - Is an emergency diesel or NG generation system out of the question
      for a metro to keep it running? My school has a roughly 80 kW propane
      generator to run the elevator, fire pump, emergency lighting, phone
      system, and intercom. I assume a metro would need _slightly_ more. *grin*

      I'm assuming, though, that Joel's carfree city probably has all the
      electric lines underground, reducing storm-related failures. By the
      way, where would the metro's maintenance area be? In edge utility
      districts?

      BTW, for a city the size of Joel's prototype, would a dedicated city
      power plant be called for?
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007
        quick reply to Matt:

        >Thinking recently about emergency planning, it came to my mind: what
        >happens to a metro in a power failure? A few thoughts come to mind:
        >
        >- In Joel's carfree city prototype, what's the maximum number of metro
        >and metro-freight trains that would be in operation at any given
        >moment? What would the maximum power consumption be?

        say about 50 trains, 10 cars = 500 cars
        600 kW per car (max), say 150 kW average = 75,000 kW
        this assumes the high rates of acceleration proposed in the book

        >- In the event of a municipal utility failure, what happens with the
        >metro? Are the trains able to glide without power to the next station
        >to allow a total evacuation without making passengers walk through
        >tunnels?

        supercapacitors should probably be installed; these can store
        enough power to move trains into stations; they also help with
        regeneration

        >- Is an emergency diesel or NG generation system out of the question
        >for a metro to keep it running? My school has a roughly 80 kW propane
        >generator to run the elevator, fire pump, emergency lighting, phone
        >system, and intercom. I assume a metro would need _slightly_ more. *grin*

        Well, only about 1000 times more ;-)
        Actually, to keep the system operating in limp-along,
        probably 20,000 kW would do it.
        To put this in perspective, the largest diesel engines,
        used to power ships, are something like 75,000 kW each.

        >I'm assuming, though, that Joel's carfree city probably has all the
        >electric lines underground, reducing storm-related failures.

        absolutely!

        >By the
        >way, where would the metro's maintenance area be? In edge utility
        >districts?

        yup

        >BTW, for a city the size of Joel's prototype, would a dedicated city
        >power plant be called for?

        can't give a definitive answer; it depends on the power
        sources and where the energy supply is

        ----- ### -----
      • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2007
          Matt Hohmeister wrote:

          >In the event of a municipal utility failure, what happens with the
          >metro? Are the trains able to glide without power to the next station
          > to allow a total evacuation without making passengers walk through
          tunnels?

          In Prague one or two of the metro lines can go under its own power to
          the next station, slowly... I assume using some kind of small battery...
          for where it is level or a slight incline. For going down you at least
          need brakes, plus in either situation door opening would be nice. I am
          not sure if there is an advantage to ultracapacitors for a situation
          like this.

          A system which generates emissions or needs to store liquid for fuel in
          a tunnel is not a good idea.

          -T

          Todd Edelman
          Director