Re: [carfree_cities] "New York may ban iPods while crossing street"

  • Robert J. Matter
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 9, 2007
      Todd Edelman wrote:

      > By choice, I don't and never have used any kind of portable listening
      > device on the street. I think it is an insult to the Street. I assume
      > many people feel the same way. Why do we need to isolate ourselves while
      > in public?
      >
      > I am not for a law making portable devices illegal while walking, and I
      > recognize that their use brings pleasure on e.g. long commutes, but on
      > the other hand I am very curious if many pedestrian-friendly and compact
      > places also have low use of these devices. Personalised music doesn't
      > make dangerous noise go away, it just covers it up.

      I used to listen to books on tape/CD while cycling in Chicago. I stopped
      because the street noise blared out too much of the material; sirens,
      construction equipment, accelerating trucks, honking horns, L trains
      passing overhead, etc. I just listen to music now (when the weather is
      warmer) where such interruptions aren't critical. I don't think I could
      tolerate listening to music at the volume it would require to block out
      Chicago's street noise. As a matter of fact, I sort of consider my
      headphones as personal safety equipment to protect my hearing. One time
      a Chicago cop drove by me when I didn't have my headphones on and
      sounded his buzzer (probably because I was riding outside the door
      zone). It knocked out my hearing in my left ear for about 10 minutes and
      my ears rang for about half an hour after that. When angry cagers honk
      at me for taking a lane my headphones help muffle their loud, shrill
      horns. I am less inclined to respond to their screaming at me to get off
      the road, get on the sidewalk, etc. when I have headphones on too. I
      always ride with a mirror so I know what's going on around me 360
      degrees. Even with headphones I can still hear enough traffic noise to
      not jeopardize my safety. I don't need to hear that traffic noise at
      full volume.

      --Bob Matter
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 10, 2007
        Robert J. Matter wrote:

        > I used to listen to books on tape/CD while cycling in Chicago.

        I WOULD imagine that using headphones while cycling is illegal in
        Chicago, but of course using a Bluetooth etc device in one ear while
        driving is not...

        > I stopped
        > because the street noise blared out too much of the material; sirens,
        > construction equipment, accelerating trucks, honking horns, L trains
        > passing overhead, etc.

        GOOD point.

        > I just listen to music now (when the weather is
        > warmer) where such interruptions aren't critical. I don't think I could
        > tolerate listening to music at the volume it would require to block out
        > Chicago's street noise.

        THERE is just too much noise in general.

        > As a matter of fact, I sort of consider my
        > headphones as personal safety equipment to protect my hearing. One time
        > a Chicago cop drove by me when I didn't have my headphones on and
        > sounded his buzzer (probably because I was riding outside the door
        > zone). It knocked out my hearing in my left ear for about 10 minutes and
        > my ears rang for about half an hour after that. When angry cagers honk
        > at me for taking a lane my headphones help muffle their loud, shrill
        > horns. I am less inclined to respond to their screaming at me to get off
        > the road, get on the sidewalk, etc. when I have headphones on too.

        I HAVE heard before on this list or elsewhere that emergency vehicles of
        all sorts have actually had to increase the volume of their sirens and
        things to compensate for automobiles being better insulated against
        external noise and also because air conditioning is standard equipment,
        so car windows are closed all the time. It might also be because drivers
        are doing so many other things in their cars.

        > always ride with a mirror so I know what's going on around me 360
        > degrees. Even with headphones I can still hear enough traffic noise to
        > not jeopardize my safety. I don't need to hear that traffic noise at
        > full volume.

        HOW about the safety of others? Okay, I don't want to dwell on the issue
        of cyclists saying they still hear enough with headphones on, but while
        cycling I hear lots of important things which are barely audible above
        the din, which tells me I should not wear headphones, even if I had
        mirrors.

        So it seems the situation we have is one where everyone is passing the
        buck with their/of their habits, and it is going in a circle and we are
        all suffering.

        When there is almost no background noise EXTERNAL to my body, I hear a
        ringing caused in part by exposure to some very loud music and other
        sounds in the past. So even silence is not ideal.

        > --Bob Matter
        >

        > _._,___

        Todd Edelman
        Director