Re: "New York may ban iPods while crossing street"

  • dawie_coetzee
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2007
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Hitchcock <mail@...>
      wrote:

      > If you want to ban all anti-social activities (such as listening to
      > headphones in public), well, I might as well unsubscribe from this
      list
      > now, because the carfree city you envision is very different than the
      > carfree city I envision, and one in which I would not want to live.
      >
      > Andrew

      Thanks, Andrew. There is a disturbing tendency to associate urban
      social life with abject servility. I see an opposite potential -D
    • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 9, 2007
        If an iPod is dangerous for a person moving along the street, what about
        a car? What about an SUV?

        --
        Carlos F. Pardo
        Coordinador de Proyecto
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9, 2007
          Or what the TV in the SUV?

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 9, 2007
            what is an Ipod , i am from a tri....you would call it third world, but we love bikes...

            eileen <eileenbyrnes@...> schrieb: Or what the TV in the SUV?

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 9, 2007
              Todd Edelman wrote:

              > By choice, I don't and never have used any kind of portable listening
              > device on the street. I think it is an insult to the Street. I assume
              > many people feel the same way. Why do we need to isolate ourselves while
              > in public?
              >
              > I am not for a law making portable devices illegal while walking, and I
              > recognize that their use brings pleasure on e.g. long commutes, but on
              > the other hand I am very curious if many pedestrian-friendly and compact
              > places also have low use of these devices. Personalised music doesn't
              > make dangerous noise go away, it just covers it up.

              I used to listen to books on tape/CD while cycling in Chicago. I stopped
              because the street noise blared out too much of the material; sirens,
              construction equipment, accelerating trucks, honking horns, L trains
              passing overhead, etc. I just listen to music now (when the weather is
              warmer) where such interruptions aren't critical. I don't think I could
              tolerate listening to music at the volume it would require to block out
              Chicago's street noise. As a matter of fact, I sort of consider my
              headphones as personal safety equipment to protect my hearing. One time
              a Chicago cop drove by me when I didn't have my headphones on and
              sounded his buzzer (probably because I was riding outside the door
              zone). It knocked out my hearing in my left ear for about 10 minutes and
              my ears rang for about half an hour after that. When angry cagers honk
              at me for taking a lane my headphones help muffle their loud, shrill
              horns. I am less inclined to respond to their screaming at me to get off
              the road, get on the sidewalk, etc. when I have headphones on too. I
              always ride with a mirror so I know what's going on around me 360
              degrees. Even with headphones I can still hear enough traffic noise to
              not jeopardize my safety. I don't need to hear that traffic noise at
              full volume.

              --Bob Matter
            • Todd Edelman
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 10, 2007
                Robert J. Matter wrote:

                > I used to listen to books on tape/CD while cycling in Chicago.

                I WOULD imagine that using headphones while cycling is illegal in
                Chicago, but of course using a Bluetooth etc device in one ear while
                driving is not...

                > I stopped
                > because the street noise blared out too much of the material; sirens,
                > construction equipment, accelerating trucks, honking horns, L trains
                > passing overhead, etc.

                GOOD point.

                > I just listen to music now (when the weather is
                > warmer) where such interruptions aren't critical. I don't think I could
                > tolerate listening to music at the volume it would require to block out
                > Chicago's street noise.

                THERE is just too much noise in general.

                > As a matter of fact, I sort of consider my
                > headphones as personal safety equipment to protect my hearing. One time
                > a Chicago cop drove by me when I didn't have my headphones on and
                > sounded his buzzer (probably because I was riding outside the door
                > zone). It knocked out my hearing in my left ear for about 10 minutes and
                > my ears rang for about half an hour after that. When angry cagers honk
                > at me for taking a lane my headphones help muffle their loud, shrill
                > horns. I am less inclined to respond to their screaming at me to get off
                > the road, get on the sidewalk, etc. when I have headphones on too.

                I HAVE heard before on this list or elsewhere that emergency vehicles of
                all sorts have actually had to increase the volume of their sirens and
                things to compensate for automobiles being better insulated against
                external noise and also because air conditioning is standard equipment,
                so car windows are closed all the time. It might also be because drivers
                are doing so many other things in their cars.

                > always ride with a mirror so I know what's going on around me 360
                > degrees. Even with headphones I can still hear enough traffic noise to
                > not jeopardize my safety. I don't need to hear that traffic noise at
                > full volume.

                HOW about the safety of others? Okay, I don't want to dwell on the issue
                of cyclists saying they still hear enough with headphones on, but while
                cycling I hear lots of important things which are barely audible above
                the din, which tells me I should not wear headphones, even if I had
                mirrors.

                So it seems the situation we have is one where everyone is passing the
                buck with their/of their habits, and it is going in a circle and we are
                all suffering.

                When there is almost no background noise EXTERNAL to my body, I hear a
                ringing caused in part by exposure to some very loud music and other
                sounds in the past. So even silence is not ideal.

                > --Bob Matter
                >

                > _._,___

                Todd Edelman
                Director