Children growing up near roads suffer serious damage to lungs

  • Chris Radcliff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2007
      In Zen terms: "The farther you move away from a road, the healthier
      you are. Why not move your whole city away from roads?"

      Children growing up near roads suffer serious damage to lungs
      Published: 26 January 2007
      Independent Online (UK)

      Researchers have found that young people growing up in homes within
      500 metres of a major road suffer significant damage to their lungs
      from exhaust fumes.

      Compared with those who live at least 1,500 metres away, their
      breathing is not as deep or vigorous and their lungs do not develop to
      the same degree. This puts them at greater risk from asthma,
      bronchitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and weakens
      their sporting ability, the research suggests.

      The study, conducted at the University of Southern California, is the
      latest to show that air pollution increases the risk of respiratory
      disease. But few studies have examined its effect on lung growth in
      children.

      http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article2186523.ece

      500 meters is a pretty big distance. I have at least 2 major roads
      within 500 meters of my home, and a 3-year-old trying to develop his
      lungs.

      ~chris