RE: [carfree_cities] Anti-cyclist policy in Atlanta?

  • Jack Barbour
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2007
      I'm willing to bet the majority of riders cruising or racing along this
      2.5 mile loop, arrived by car and will load their bikes and leave by
      car. The fact that the article describes the road in this fashion
      suggests this, and the "drive, park and ride" nature is typical of the
      majority of the US new breed of cyclist. As a frequent visitor to
      Atlanta, I can attest to the fact that pedestrian and cycling concerns
      are not even a blip on the radar screens when it comes to community
      planning. I was staying in a hotel in Atlanta with a couple of
      co-worker and we were going out to dinner. Although the restaurant was
      only a couple of blocks away, my co-worker opted to drive while I
      walked. I arrived ten minutes before they did, since due to the lay out
      of the roads, they had to drive about 3-miles to go two blocks.

      Jack Barbour
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2007
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Barbour"
        <bamacyclist@...> wrote:

        > I'm willing to bet the majority of riders cruising or racing along this
        > 2.5 mile loop, arrived by car and will load their bikes and leave by
        > car. The fact that the article describes the road in this fashion
        > suggests this, and the "drive, park and ride" nature is typical of the
        > majority of the US new breed of cyclist.

        You can bet on it. This has nothing to do with either cities or
        transportation.

        The Atlanta suburbs are, in any case, mostly beyond repair; razing is
        the appropriate urban renewal solution. Fortunately, since winters
        are generally mild there, the debris will provide firewood for quite a
        long time.
      • Jym Dyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2007
          > The Atlanta suburbs are, in any case, mostly beyond
          > repair; razing is the appropriate urban renewal solution.
          > Fortunately, since winters are generally mild there, the
          > debris will provide firewood for quite a long time.

          =v= At one point not long ago, the heaviest clearcutting in the
          South was not done for timber, it was to make room for Atlanta's
          sprawl. That debris should become mulch for reforesting.
          <_Jym_>
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2007
            >> I'm willing to bet the majority of riders cruising or racing along this
            >> 2.5 mile loop, arrived by car and will load their bikes and leave by
            >> car. The fact that the article describes the road in this fashion
            >> suggests this, and the "drive, park and ride" nature is typical of the
            >> majority of the US new breed of cyclist.
            >
            >You can bet on it. This has nothing to do with either cities or
            >transportation.

            Meanwhile, if you want a bit of encouraging news about the other kind of US cyclist (the two-percenters), see my site on urban transportational bicycling:

            http://www.bicyclefixation.com

            Rick Risemberg
          • Jack Barbour
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2007
              I don't remember the exact location, somewhere near Dunwoody I believe,
              but traffic was diverted for months a due to a new road and overpass
              being constructed. A couple of years later, traffic was still being
              diverted, this time to have the road and overpass was being tore down to
              make way for a new wider road and overpass. I don't believe the 1st one
              was every used.

              Bless those utility cyclists who travel the mean streets of Atlanta.

              Jack Barbour