Shade

  • dawie_coetzee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24 5:02 AM
      It's about 40¢ªC / 105¢ªF in Cape Town today. I nevertheless had a lunch-
      hour walk. Even in the relatively walkable 17th-century core one is
      aware of the scarcity of shade for pedestrians. The periphery of the
      centre, where my office is, is ridden with parking lots, filling
      stations, and eight-lane roads, and is virtually shadeless. It's like a
      desert at midday.

      Long Street has Victorian verandah roofs over sidewalks, but where they
      don't take the form of balconies they bake hot and radiate heat onto
      pedestrians. The colonnades recessed into house fronts found in many
      medieval European cities would work excellently in Cape Town's climate,
      but the pattern is virtually unknown here.

      What do other cities in the world do to ensure shade (and shelter) for
      pedestrians?

      -Dawie