Re: [carfree_cities] Re: The Zen of Cars, Bikes, and Feet

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
      You also have legs
      or
      You have legs, too

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      Korunní 72
      CZ-10100 Praha 10
      Czech Republic

      ++420 605 915 970
      ++420 222 517 832
      Skype: toddedelman

      edelman@...
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World Carfree Network
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
        It will be a great day when all school children can walk to school
        safely (again), and the energy companies need to hold a bake sale in
        order to build a parking lot.

        Todd Edelman
        Director
        Green Idea Factory

        Korunní 72
        CZ-10100 Praha 10
        Czech Republic

        ++420 605 915 970
        ++420 222 517 832
        Skype: toddedelman

        edelman@...
        http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

        Green Idea Factory,
        a member of World Carfree Network
      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
          Car¹s scar

          From: "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...>
          Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:16:22 -0500
          To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] Re: The Zen of Cars, Bikes, and Feet

          >leave it outside the city.
          >
          >you may ditch it.

          OK, these get rewritten:

          Cities are for people, not for cars. Leave it at home.

          Just park it!

          come on folks, more, better, now!!!!!

          ----- ### -----
          J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
          mailbox@... <mailto:mailbox%40carfree.com>
          http://www.carfree.com

        • Todd Edelman
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
            If we had been designed for cities full of cars, we would have no lungs,
            and air bags on the outside of our bodies.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
              I hope to live to see the opening of Jeremy Clarkson Heritage Motorway where
              a carefully preserved stretch of a kilometre of dual carriageway is opened
              every week in the summer so that young children and their families (arriving
              by train and bicycle and on foot) can go sample vintage motorway service
              station food, experience a virtual reality gridlock and witness the noise of
              a solid stream of motorised traffic via a specially designed surround sound
              room on the site. On special occasions veteran volunteers who recall the age
              of the car will re-enact a motorway traffic pile up with actors in the role
              of emergency services and mock-up casualties with wreckage strewn the length
              of the site. In the memorial cinema there will be historic reconstructions
              of the early autobahns built by the Nazis, the blighting by motorways
              swathes of countryside as well their role in the diminishing of urban life
              and their contribution to urban sprawl that is with us to this day
              (collection boxes will be passed round in aid of impoverished by suburban
              deprivation) as well as stirring films of the international anti-roads
              campaigns that helped bring this disastrous period in history to an end. Of
              course there will be those who argue it would have ended anyway for economic
              reasons but history needs its stories set to music along with the the heroes
              and villains who played it.

              Simon

              From: Todd Edelman <edelman@...>
              Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:34:09 +0100
              To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>

              edelman@... <mailto:edelman%40greenidea.eu>
              http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

              Green Idea Factory,
              a member of World Carfree Network

            • Jym Dyer
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
                CARS
                ~~~~

                Read poetry.
                Make peace with all except the motorcar.
                Cars suck. Ride your bike.
                -- Schwinn ad copy

                BIKES
                ~~~~~

                A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the
                market, riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the
                monastery and had dismounted, the teacher asked the students,
                "Why are you riding your bicycles?"

                The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack
                of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my
                back!" The teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart
                boy! When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over like
                I do."

                The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and
                fields pass by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended
                the second student, "Your eyes are open, and you see the world."

                The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content
                to chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the
                third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly
                trued wheel."

                The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in
                harmony with all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and
                said to the fourth student, "You are riding on the golden path
                of non-harming."

                The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my
                bicycle." The teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and
                said, "I am your student!"

                -- From _The_Quotable_Cyclist_ (Bill Strickland)

                FEET
                ~~~~

                The Other Way of Lao-Tsu: A journey of 1000 miles occasionally
                begins with the realization that 1000 miles is a hell of a long
                way to walk.
                -- Cartoon in _National_Lampoon_

                <_Jym_>
              • tag_c2_hu
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 25, 2007
                  "No city should be too large for a man to walk out of in a morning."
                  Cyril Connolly

                  This and some other nice quotes about walking to be found on this
                  page:
                  http://studenthealth.oregonstate.edu/beaverstrides/quotes.php

                  Starting after the Seneca quote mid-page. One has to be selective
                  though.

                  Andras Toth
                • tag_c2_hu
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 25, 2007
                    Some nice bits here too:
                    https://www.greenway.org/advocacy/advosound.htm

                    Andras Toth
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 25, 2007
                      some stuff from:

                      https://www.greenway.org/advocacy/advosound.htm

                      Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
                      -JOHN F. KENNEDY, Thirty-fifth US President (1961-63), 1917-63

                      I thought of that [the theory of relativity] while riding my bike.
                      -ALBERT EINSTEIN, American scientist, 1879-1955

                      too wordy:

                      Without question, bicycling is an efficient, economical and environmentally sound form of transportation and recreation. Bicycling is a great activity for families, recreational riders and commuters. Hillary, Chelsea and I have bicycles. (President Bill Clinton, in Bicycling magazine, 1992)

                      Dear Lord, if you'll pick 'em up, I'll put 'em down.
                      -WALKER'S PRAYER

                      A good walker leaves no tracks.
                      -LAO-TZU, Chinese philosopher, 604-531 BC

                      ----- ### -----
                    • Simon Baddeley
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 26, 2007
                        Chapter 3: Interstitial Living from Daniel Behrman's The Man Who Loved
                        Bicycles

                        The automobile takes fifty-five thousand lives a year in the Unites States
                        alone. How much life does the bicycle give every year everywhere? I do not
                        know, there are no statistics, I can only judge from my own experiences.

                        http://www.bikereader.com/contributors/behrman/mw3.html

                        Simon
                        (I¹ll be in Venice Sunday after next ­ on my bike between train and ferry on
                        the way to Greece)

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 26, 2007
                          Roads aren't bad...
                          ... it's how you use them.
                          Streets are good....
                          .... so don't abuse them.

                          Chris Radcliff wrote:

                          > In Zen terms: "The farther you move away from a road, the healthier
                          > you are. Why not move your whole city away from roads?" [...]

                          Todd Edelman
                          Director
                          Green Idea Factory

                          Korunní 72
                          CZ-10100 Praha 10
                          Czech Republic

                          ++420 605 915 970
                          ++420 222 517 832
                          Skype: toddedelman

                          edelman@...
                          http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

                          Green Idea Factory,
                          a member of World Carfree Network
                        • Debra Efroymson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
                            End world hunger. Feed people, not cars.

                            The worst design flaw is found not in individual cars,
                            but in the whole system of designing cities to
                            accommodate them.

                            Road kill is no accident. End the slaughter - travel
                            by gentler means.

                            http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail